Laplace Transform of sin(3t)cos(3t) on t>=0 | Convolution Method

In summary, the conversation is about finding the Laplace transform of a function sin(3t)cos(3t) using a table. The person is unsure of how to proceed and tries different methods, eventually realizing that the identity of sin(3t)cos(3t) = sin(6t)/2 is the correct approach. They successfully find the solution of 3/(s^2+36).
crxyem

Homework Statement

Use a table to fing L{f(t)} for the given function f(t) defined on the interval t>=0

Homework Equations

f(t)=sin(3t)cos(3t)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well this type of Laplace transform has got me stumped, I'm not to sure how to proceed. It doesn't seem to fit any of the forms in the table that is in my textbook. If it were sin(3t)+cos(3t) I could use the form sinwt = w/(s^2+w^2) and cos(3t)=2/(s^2+w^2) . I've read about convolution were L{f*g}=F(s)G(s), but I'm not convinced that I need to use this method.

I know the solution is supposed to be 3/(s^2+36), I've tried working my way to this solution. I'm sure my method is incorrect but I thought it might be possible to apply the Laplace transform of a derivative.

given that
L{f '' (t)} = s^2L{f(t)} - sf(0) - f ' (0) (a)

let f (t)= 3·COS(6·t)
let f'' (t)= - 18·SIN(6·t)
let f '' (t) = - 108·COS(6·t)

evaluate at zero

f (0)= 3*cos(3*0) = 3
f '' (0) = -18 sin(3*0) = 0

Substitute into (a)
L{f '' (t)} = s^2L{f(t)} - sf(0) - f ' (0)

L{- 108·COS(6·t) } = s^2L{3·COS(6·t) } - s(3) - 0

Rearrange terms
s^2L{3·COS(6·t) } - L{- 108·COS(6·t) } = 3s

L is a linear operator this equation becomes
3+s^2L{COS(6·t) } +108*L{COS(6·t) } = 3s

Collect like terms
(s^2 + 108/3) = 3s

Then the following is true.
L{3·COS(6·t)} = 3s/(s^2 + 36)

but there's an extra s in the numerator ??
do I need to start with
L{f ''' (t)} = s^3L{f(t)} - s^2L{f(0)} - sf ' (0) - f '' (0)

what might I have done wrong ?
have I attempted the proper approach ??
Is my identity of f(t)=sin(3t)cos(3t) correct ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since sin(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x); sin(3t)cos(3t) = sin(6t)/2.

thanks I've always been terrible with trig identities.

works our flawlessly now

What are Laplace transforms?

Laplace transforms are mathematical tools used to convert a function from the time domain to the frequency domain. They are commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze dynamic systems.

Why are Laplace transforms helpful?

Laplace transforms can simplify complex equations and make it easier to solve differential equations. They also allow for the analysis of systems in terms of their frequencies, making it easier to understand their behavior and stability.

When should Laplace transforms be used?

Laplace transforms are most useful when dealing with linear systems, as they can only be applied to linear functions. They are also useful for systems that involve damping or oscillations.

What is the process of using Laplace transforms?

The general process of using Laplace transforms involves taking a function in the time domain, applying the Laplace transform, and then manipulating the resulting equation to solve for the desired variable. This often involves using tables of Laplace transform pairs and inverse Laplace transforms.

Are there any limitations to using Laplace transforms?

While Laplace transforms are a powerful tool, they do have limitations. They can only be applied to linear systems, and they may not always provide an accurate representation of non-linear systems. Additionally, they may be difficult to apply in some cases due to the complexity of the equations involved.