Why Does the Expectation Value of Momentum Vanish in a Quantum Bound State?

• Thread starter einai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quantum
In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem related to a Hamiltonian and a bound state with a specific energy eigenvalue. The person is stuck and has tried a certain approach but is unsure of how to proceed. They mention that the question has been answered in a quantum physics forum.
einai
Hi, I came across a problem which seems to be pretty simple, but I'm stuck :confused: .

Given a Hamiltonian:
[tex]H=\frac{\vec{p}^2}{2m}+V(\vec{x})[/tex]

If |E> is a bound state of the Hamiltonian with energy eigenvalue E, show that: [tex]<E| \vec{p} |E>=0[/tex]

-----------------------------------
So I've been trying something like this:

[tex]\frac{1}{2m}<E|\vec{p} \cdot \vec{p}|E> + <E|V(\vec{x})|E> = E<E|E> = E[/tex]

but I have no idea how to proceed from here. I don't think I'm on the right track actually.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
FYI: This question has been answered in the quantum physics forum.

Hi there! It looks like you're on the right track, but there are a few things you can do to simplify your approach. First, remember that the momentum operator \vec{p} is a vector, so it can be written as \vec{p}=\vec{p}_x+\vec{p}_y+\vec{p}_z. This means that the dot product \vec{p}\cdot\vec{p} can be expanded as:

\vec{p}\cdot\vec{p} = (\vec{p}_x+\vec{p}_y+\vec{p}_z)\cdot(\vec{p}_x+\vec{p}_y+\vec{p}_z) = \vec{p}_x^2 + \vec{p}_y^2 + \vec{p}_z^2

Since we're interested in the expectation value of \vec{p}, we can write this as:

<E|\vec{p}\cdot\vec{p}|E> = <E|\vec{p}_x^2 + \vec{p}_y^2 + \vec{p}_z^2|E>

Now, remember that in a bound state, the energy eigenvalue E is fixed, so we can pull it out of the expectation value. This gives us:

<E|\vec{p}\cdot\vec{p}|E> = E<E|\vec{p}_x^2 + \vec{p}_y^2 + \vec{p}_z^2|E>

Using the definition of the momentum operator, we can write \vec{p}_i^2 = \frac{\vec{p}_i\cdot\vec{p}_i}{2m} for each component i=x,y,z. This gives us:

<E|\vec{p}\cdot\vec{p}|E> = E<E|\frac{\vec{p}_x\cdot\vec{p}_x+\vec{p}_y\cdot\vec{p}_y+\vec{p}_z\cdot\vec{p}_z}{2m}|E>

Now, using the commutation relation [\vec{p}_i,\vec{p}_j]=0 for all i,j=x,y,z, we can rearrange this expression as:

<E|\vec{p}\cdot\vec{p}|E> = E<E|\frac{\vec{p}_x

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It describes how these particles interact with each other and with energy in the form of waves.

2. Can you explain the concept of superposition?

Superposition is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that a particle can exist in multiple states or positions at the same time. This is in contrast to classical mechanics, where a particle can only have one definite state at a time.

3. What is meant by the term "quantum entanglement"?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other, even when they are separated by large distances. This is a key aspect of quantum mechanics and has been observed in experiments.

4. How is quantum mechanics used in technology?

Quantum mechanics has numerous applications in technology, including in computing, communication, and cryptography. For example, quantum computers use the principles of superposition and entanglement to perform calculations much faster than classical computers.

5. What is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This is due to the inherent uncertainty and randomness of quantum particles.