Calculating Voltage Drop Across 5kOhm Resistor

In summary, the conversation discusses using a 6V DC voltage source to power a series circuit consisting of a 5kohm resistor and a 10 nF capacitor. The question is what is the voltage drop across the resistor. The equation Q=CV is mentioned but it is not relevant to finding the voltage drop. Kirchoff's voltage law is suggested as a possible solution, but the person asking the question has not learned about it. The expert notes that KVL may not be necessary and suggests considering the behavior of the capacitor when it is not charged or fully charged. Ultimately, there is not enough information provided to accurately determine the voltage drop across the resistor.
myoplex11

Homework Statement

A 6V DC voltage source is connected across both a 5kohm resistor and a 10 nF capacitor in series. The voltage drop across the resistor is what?

Homework Equations

Q=CV

The Attempt at a Solution

Q= (10*10^-9 F)(5000ohms)

Physics news on Phys.org
myoplex11 said:

Homework Statement

A 6V DC voltage source is connected across both a 5kohm resistor and a 10 nF capacitor in series. The voltage drop across the resistor is what?

Homework Equations

Q=CV

The Attempt at a Solution

Q= (10*10^-9 F)(5000ohms)

Q = CV does not have anything to do with finding the voltage drop across the resistor. Q here refers to the charge, C is the capacitance and V is the voltage.

Did you learn about Kirchoff's law? Use Kirchoff's voltage law to solve this.

no we did not learn kirckoffs law

Did you learn how a capacitor works? KVL is really not needed.

Think what happens when the capacitor is not charged at all and what happens when it is fully charged.

There is not enough information given here in my opinion.

1. How do you calculate the voltage drop across a 5kOhm resistor?

The voltage drop across a resistor can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that V = I x R, where V is the voltage, I is the current flowing through the resistor, and R is the resistance of the resistor. In this case, the resistance is 5kOhm, so the voltage drop can be calculated by multiplying the current flowing through the resistor by 5,000.

2. What is the formula for calculating voltage drop?

The formula for calculating voltage drop is V = I x R, where V is the voltage, I is the current, and R is the resistance. This formula is derived from Ohm's Law, which relates the three variables in a circuit.

3. Does the voltage drop depend on the current flowing through the resistor?

Yes, the voltage drop across a resistor is directly proportional to the current flowing through it. This means that as the current increases, the voltage drop will also increase proportionally.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the voltage drop across a 5kOhm resistor?

Yes, the voltage drop can also be affected by the temperature of the resistor, the material it is made of, and the length and thickness of the resistor. These factors can alter the resistance of the resistor and subsequently impact the voltage drop.

5. How can I measure the voltage drop across a 5kOhm resistor?

The voltage drop can be measured using a voltmeter, which is a device that measures the voltage between two points in an electrical circuit. To measure the voltage drop across a resistor, the voltmeter should be connected in parallel to the resistor, with the positive lead on one side and the negative lead on the other. The voltmeter will then display the voltage drop across the resistor in volts.