Parabolic Motion: Convert to Equation & Formula

• Thread starter tarkimos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the conversation is about converting projectile motion into a parabolic equation for use in a motion planner in a simple game. The formula suggested is y(t) = 1/2at^2 + v(0)t + x(0) for constant acceleration, and for non-constant acceleration, y(t) = ∫v(t) dt = ∫∫a(t) dt dt for numerical integration. The individual is also using a range formula to calculate the x value and a similar formula for total time of flight, which is then divided by the range to get the desired result.
tarkimos
I was wondering if it is possible to convert a projectile motion(velocity, direction, etc) into a (parabolic) equation.
I am programming a motion planner to use in a simple 'game' that I am making.
A formula would be appreciated.
I was thinking something like http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/187/eq220d30dcno9.png
To get the x value I am using the range formula
attachment.php?attachmentid=11352&stc=1&d=1193446035.png

I am then using a similar formula to calculate the total time of flight.
Then I am dividing the range by the total time of flight.

Attachments

• formula1xw6.png
    formula1xw6.png
    209 bytes · Views: 428
Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
hello?

If the acceleration is constant,
[tex]y(t) = \frac12 a t^2 + v(0) t + x(0) [/tex],
otherwise you should take something like
[tex]y(t) = \int v(t) dt = \iint a(t) dt dt[/tex]
and do a numerical integration.

Thanks.

1. What is parabolic motion?

Parabolic motion is the curved path that an object follows when it is thrown or launched near the Earth's surface. It is a combination of a horizontal and vertical motion, resulting in a parabolic shape.

2. What are the equations for parabolic motion?

There are several equations that can be used to describe parabolic motion, depending on the specific parameters and variables involved. However, the most commonly used equation is the kinematic equation for vertical position: y = y0 + v0t + 1/2at^2, where y is the vertical position, y0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is time.

3. How do you convert parabolic motion to an equation?

To convert parabolic motion to an equation, you need to determine the relevant parameters and variables involved. These may include the object's initial position, initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and time. Once these values are known, they can be plugged into the appropriate equation for parabolic motion, such as the kinematic equation mentioned in question 2.

4. What is the formula for calculating the maximum height in parabolic motion?

The formula for calculating the maximum height in parabolic motion is h = (v0^2 sin^2θ)/2g, where h is the maximum height, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How does air resistance affect parabolic motion?

Air resistance can affect parabolic motion by slowing down the object and changing its trajectory. This is because air resistance creates a force that acts opposite to the object's motion, causing it to lose velocity and change direction. In some cases, air resistance may cause the object to deviate from a true parabolic path.