Galileo's experiment and Equivalence Principle

In summary: Newton's version is known as the Inverse Square Law. Both theories are supposed to describe the same phenomena, and they do agree to the degree that they have been tested. But they operate from two entirely different world views. And there is no guarantee that those world views will remain the same under closer scrutiny.In summary, the conversation discusses the three-body problem, specifically the special case where a mass M, a spherical shell of mass m1 and radius R, and a point mass m2 are all moving freely under the influence of universal attraction. The question raised is at what velocities do masses m1 and m2 fall in the gravitational field of M when dropped simultaneously from a height h. The answer is that according to both
Owen217a
FREE FALL OF BODIES

3-body problem (special case)

According to the Newton's Mechanics:
Let us consider a mass M of radius Ro. At a distance h from the center of this mass M, we place a spherical shell (e.g a spherical elevator) of mass m1 and radius R.
Moreover, at the center of the spherical shell we place another point mass m2, (m1 ≠ m2).
Now t= 0 (Phase I), we allow these three masses m1, m2, M to move freely under the influence of the force of universal attraction.
Let us also assume that after a time dt (Phase ΙΙ), υ1, υ2 and V are respectively the velocities of masses m1, m2 and Μ, relative to an inertial observer Ο.
Note:Masses m1, m2, and M are considered to be homogeneous and absolutely solid bodies.
In addition, velocities υ1, υ2 and V are considered to be positive numbers (that is, only the meters of their magnitudes are taken into account), while mass m2 is considered to be found always within the spherical shell (spherical elevator) m1.

The basic question that is being raised is the following:

QUESTION :

At what velocities do masses m1 (spherical elevator) and m2 (point mass) fall in the gravitational field of Mass M once simultaneously dropped in free fall from a height h, namely at the time dt>0 we have V1 = V2 or V1 ≠ V2 ?

I await your anwer.

Thanks,

Tony

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi,

This seems like the beginning of a discussion of General Relativity. I'd like to be in on it when it gets juicy, so I figured I'd get the ball rolling.

For the example you gave, if I understand your meaning correctly, V1 = V2.

You didn't ask for an explanation. Did you want one?

mike123,

My question is very simple:

...at the time dt>0 we have velocities , u1 = u2 or u1 ≠ u2 ?

Tony

u1 = u2

This doesn't seem to me to have much to do with General Relativity at all, except that it mentions the principle of equivalence.

question

mike123 said:
u1 = u2

Mike123

If, e.g m1 = 10^6 tn (mass a white draft) and m2 = 1gr (mass a feather), then, we have u1 =u2 ?

Why?

Tony

Owen217a,

Well, as pervect pointed out, this not a thread on SR or GR but Newtonian Mechanics. Perhaps it could be considered “leading up to” a discussion of SR or GR. Either way, I don’t mind answering as long as the moderators don’t get mad at me.

Your last question is the very experiment that Galileo is described as doing. Remember the story about him dropping pairs of different size cannon balls off the Tower of Pisa? They always fell together and always hit the ground at the same time. He was forced to conclude that gravity makes u1 always equal to u2 no matter what m1 and m2 are.

Why, you ask? I could present an algebraic proof. It would be the same as the ones that appear in freshman physics textbooks. But I don’t think that is what you are asking for. Philosophically speaking, well, I don’t know how to answer.

mike123 said:
Owen217a,

Your last question is the very experiment that Galileo is described as doing. Remember the story about him dropping pairs of different size cannon balls off the Tower of Pisa? They always fell together and always hit the ground at the same time. He was forced to conclude that gravity makes u1 always equal to u2 no matter what m1 and m2 are.

As it is well-known, Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity postulates the following:
“Gravitational fields have the remarkable property of imparting the same acceleration to all bodies independent of their material composition and amount of mass”. (See THE PRINCIPLE OF RELATIVITY, BY A. EINSTEIN – H.A LORENTZ – H. MINKOWSKI – H. WEYL, Page 114 DOVER PUBLICATIONS, INC). Einstein based this conclusion on the all-too-familiar Galileo’s experiment (the experiment conducted from the Leaning Tower of Pisa).

Also, I have a question:
If, m1 = 10^6 tn (mass a white draft) , m2 = 1gr (mass a feather), and the mass M of Earth is e.g M = 10^6 tn , namely m1 = M, then according to the Galileo's experiment, (experiment of the Tower of Pisa) we have again u1 = u2 ?

Tony

Owen217a,

Yes, u1 = u2 for your last example too.

That applies to both Newton's and Einstein's version of gravity.

1. What was Galileo's famous experiment to test the Equivalence Principle?

Galileo's famous experiment involved dropping objects of different masses from the top of the Leaning Tower of Pisa to see if they fell at the same rate.

2. What did Galileo's experiment demonstrate about the Equivalence Principle?

Galileo's experiment showed that objects of different masses, regardless of their weight, will fall at the same rate in a vacuum due to the force of gravity.

3. How does Galileo's experiment relate to the Equivalence Principle?

Galileo's experiment provides evidence for the Equivalence Principle, which states that the gravitational mass and inertial mass of an object are equivalent.

4. How did Galileo's experiment contribute to our understanding of gravity?

Galileo's experiment helped to disprove the popular belief at the time that heavier objects fall faster than lighter objects. It also laid the foundation for Isaac Newton's theory of gravity.

5. How is the Equivalence Principle used in modern physics?

The Equivalence Principle is a fundamental concept in modern physics and is used in various theories, such as Einstein's theory of general relativity, which describes gravity as the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy.