How to determine how many distinct members of set

In summary, the set A contains complex numbers z that can be written as z=2(cos((2k+1)pi/6)+i*sin((2k+1)pi/6)) where k is any integer. There are 6 distinct members in A and this can be easily determined by plugging in different values for k and observing that the solutions repeat after the 6th value. The equation zn=a always has n distinct solutions in the complex numbers, which are equally spaced around a circle centered on 0 with radius the positive nth root of |a|. The value 2k+1 is used to write the -1 in terms of trigonometric functions.
sara_87
let
A = {z(belogs to)C | z^6 = −64}
list all members of A
how many distinct members of A are there?

Physics news on Phys.org
Write [tex]-64=2^6(\cos(2\,k+1)\,\pi+i\,\sin(2\,k+1)\,\pi)[/tex], thus

[tex]z^6=-64\Rightarrow z=2\,\left(\cos\frac{(2\,k+1)\,\pi}{6}+i\,\sin\frac{(2\,k+1)\,\pi}{6}\right)[/tex]

Now it is easy to count the distinct members of A.

The equation zn= a where a is a complex number, always has n distinct solutions in the complex numbers. They are equally spaced around a circle centered on 0 with radius the positive nth root of |a|.

Last edited by a moderator:
how did you get 2k+1? and how is it easy to count the distinct members?
i'm sorry i know it should be easy but i can't figure out the answer.

The [itex]2\,k+1[/itex] is used in order to write the -1, with trigonometric functions, i.e.

[tex]\cos(2\,k+1)\,\pi=-1,\quad \sin(2\,k+1)\,\pi=0[/tex]

As HallsofIvy posted there are 6 distinct solutions. If you plug in the equation

[tex]z=2\,\left(\cos\frac{(2\,k+1)\,\pi}{6}+i\,\sin\frac{(2\,k+1)\,\pi}{6}\right)[/tex]

the values [itex]k=0,1,2,3,4,5,\dots[/itex] then you will see that after the 6th value the solutions, repeat themselves.

1. How do you define a set?

A set is a collection of distinct objects or elements, where each element is unique and does not have any duplicates.

2. What is the cardinality of a set?

The cardinality of a set is the number of distinct elements in that set. It is also referred to as the size or the number of members in a set.

3. How do you determine if two sets are equal?

Two sets are considered equal if they have the same number of elements and each element in one set is also present in the other set. The order of elements does not matter in determining equality.

4. What is the difference between a finite and infinite set?

A finite set is a set that has a specific number of elements, while an infinite set has an uncountable number of elements. An example of a finite set is the set of colors in a rainbow, while an example of an infinite set is the set of all real numbers.

5. How do you find the power set of a given set?

The power set of a set is the set of all possible subsets of that set. To find the power set, you can use the formula 2^n, where n is the number of elements in the original set. Alternatively, you can list out all the possible combinations of elements to create the power set.