Can anyone help me with this problem

• Thread starter Sunnie
  • Start date
In summary, the train slows down from 84.2 km/h to 50.7 km/h in 15 seconds as it rounds a sharp horizontal turn with a radius of 120 m. The acceleration at the moment the train reaches 50.7 km/h is calculated to be -5.204 m/s2. The direction of the acceleration is 180° backward (behind the radial line pointing inward).
Sunnie
A train slows down as it rounds a sharp horizontal turn, slowing from 84.2 km/h to 50.7 km/h in the 15 s that it takes to round the bend. The radius of the curve is 120 m. Compute the acceleration at the moment the train speed reaches 50.7 km/h. Assume that it continues to slow down at this time at the same rate.

What is the magnitude in m/s2?

What is the direction in __ ° backward (behind the radial line pointing inward)

The formulas that I have is:

Vf= Vi + AT

Rf= Ri + Vi*t + (1/2)A*T^2

Physics news on Phys.org
A = (Vf-Vi)/t First, solve for A: A = (50.7 km/h - 84.2 km/h) / (15 s) A = -5.204 m/s2 The magnitude of the acceleration is 5.204 m/s2. The direction of the acceleration is 180 ° backward (behind the radial line pointing inward).

Hi there,

I would be happy to help you with this problem! It seems like you have a good understanding of the relevant formulas, but let's go through the problem step by step to make sure we get the correct answer.

First, let's convert the initial and final speeds from km/h to m/s, since the formulas we have use meters per second (m/s).

Initial speed (Vi) = 84.2 km/h = 84.2 * (1000 m / 1 km) * (1 h / 3600 s) = 23.39 m/s
Final speed (Vf) = 50.7 km/h = 50.7 * (1000 m / 1 km) * (1 h / 3600 s) = 14.08 m/s

Next, we can use the formula Vf = Vi + AT to solve for the acceleration (A). We know that Vf = 14.08 m/s, Vi = 23.39 m/s, and the time (T) it takes to round the bend is 15 seconds. So we have:

14.08 m/s = 23.39 m/s + A * 15 s

Rearranging the equation to solve for A, we get:

A = (14.08 m/s - 23.39 m/s) / 15 s = -0.623 m/s^2

So the acceleration at the moment the train speed reaches 50.7 km/h is -0.623 m/s^2.

To find the magnitude of the acceleration, we can take the absolute value of -0.623 m/s^2, which is 0.623 m/s^2.

Now, let's find the direction of the acceleration. The acceleration is negative, which means it is in the opposite direction of the initial velocity. Since the train is moving in a horizontal direction, the acceleration is in the vertical direction, pointing downward.

To find the angle of the acceleration, we need to use some trigonometry. Let's draw a diagram to better visualize the situation:

/|
/ |
/ |
/ |
/____|

From the diagram, we can see that the angle we want to find is the angle between the radial line pointing inward (the radius of the curve) and the direction of the acceleration.

1. What is the best way to ask for help with a problem?

The best way to ask for help with a problem is to be specific and provide all of the necessary information. This includes explaining the problem in detail, including any relevant background information, and clearly stating what kind of help you are looking for.

2. How can I find someone to help me with my problem?

One way to find someone to help you with your problem is to reach out to friends, family, or colleagues who may have experience or expertise in the area. You can also seek help from online communities or forums related to your problem.

3. What should I do if I can't find anyone to help me with my problem?

If you are unable to find anyone to help you with your problem, consider breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts and seeking help for each individual part. You can also try reaching out to professionals or seeking assistance from online resources or tutorials.

4. How can I effectively communicate my problem to someone who is helping me?

To effectively communicate your problem to someone who is helping you, make sure to use clear and concise language. Avoid using technical jargon unless the person helping you is familiar with it. Also, be open to asking questions and providing clarification if needed.

5. What are some tips for solving a problem with the help of others?

Some tips for solving a problem with the help of others include being open to different perspectives, actively listening to suggestions and feedback, and being patient and persistent in finding a solution. It can also be helpful to set a timeline and specific goals for solving the problem together.