Exploring Multi-Colored Stars in the Night Sky

• Thread starter NerfMonkey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stars
In summary, the conversation discusses a sighting of a star that appeared to be flashing and changing colors. The individual theorizes that this could be due to residual moisture in the atmosphere causing the starlight to diffract into rainbow colors. Another individual explains that this phenomenon is known as scintillation and is caused by temperature differentials in the air. The colder temperature at night could have contributed to this effect.
NerfMonkey
I was out observing about an hour ago (finally found M51 for the first time :biggrin:) when I noticed what I assumed was a star to the northeast just a few degrees above the horizon. I looked at it and immediately noticed it appeared to be flashing, but not like an airplane. I stared at it more closely and saw that it looked red, green and blue, and that it was changing colors. Looking at it through my finder scope and then my telescope at low magnification it looked like all three colors at once, but looking at it at much higher (250x) magnification it looked like all three colors at once with a halo around it that was changing brightness every half second or so and sometimes disappearing altogether. There was another star doing this too, but it was higher up in the sky.

The only theory I can come up with for this is that we got rain yesterday, and some of it could still be lingering in the atmosphere. The starlight could be getting "split" (I'm not sure of the correct term, diffracted?) into rainbowy colors. This would make sense for the low star near the horizon because the light would be traveling through the atmosphere farther to reach me than if it was closer to the zenith, but it doesn't explain the other star that was much higher up.

Any ideas or explanations for this? Thanks in advance.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The term you're looking for is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintillation_%28astronomy%29" . It is caused by perturbations in the air from warm/cold differentials in the column of air through which you are looking. In stable air of a uniform temperature, this effect is greatly reduced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last night was much colder than it had been during the day and I didn't allow as much time as I usually do for the scope to cool off so that would make sense. Thanks for the reply.

Scintillation makes stars twinkle. What makes them twinkle in color when they are low is the refraction of the atmosphere separating the colors like a prism.

1. What are multi-colored stars?

Multi-colored stars are stars that appear to have different colors when viewed from Earth. This is due to the variation in temperature and composition of the star's outer layers.

2. How can we see multi-colored stars in the night sky?

Multi-colored stars can be seen with the naked eye in the night sky, especially in areas with low light pollution. They can also be observed using telescopes and other astronomical tools.

3. What causes stars to have different colors?

The color of a star is determined by its surface temperature. Hotter stars appear blue or white, while cooler stars appear red. The composition of a star's outer layers can also affect its color.

4. Are multi-colored stars rare?

Multi-colored stars are not necessarily rare, as many stars have varying temperatures and compositions. However, they may appear less frequently in some areas due to light pollution and other factors.

5. What can we learn from studying multi-colored stars?

Studying multi-colored stars can provide valuable information about the temperature, composition, and evolution of stars. It can also help scientists better understand the formation and behavior of galaxies and the universe as a whole.