Help with reading MCNP output

In summary, the individual is having difficulty understanding the MCNP output file, specifically table 140 which describes reaction rates. They are looking for a way to convert weight lost to capture into an actual reaction rate, specifically for the reaction Th-232(n,gamma)-Pa-233(n, absorbtion)/U-233(n, absorbtion). They have not been able to figure it out from the table 140 information and are hoping to receive help after attending a course on MCNP. They have since received assistance and the issue has been resolved. They express frustration with the amount of time they have spent familiarizing themselves with different software for their masters thesis. Another individual inquires about the answer to the question.
Azael
Im having some trouble interpreting the MCNP output file, more specificaly table 140 that describes reaction rates.

The problem of course is that the acctual reaction rates isn't written but rather things like total colissions, collions*weight, weight lost to capture etc.

How do I convert for instance the weight lost to capture into a acctual reaction rate?

The information I want to find is the breeding ratio of u-233 from thorium so I want.

[Th-232(n,gamma)-Pa-233(n, absorbtion)]/U-233(n, absorbtion).

i.e production rate of u-233 divided by consumption rate of u-233. But I don't have the slighest clue how to figure that out from the table 140 information? I have attached the table.

Attachments

• table 140.txt
    2.7 KB · Views: 441
Engineering news on Phys.org
Can't help you for the moment. At the end of May I will follow a course on MCNP, maybe then I'll be able to help :smile:

Fortunaly I got some help so its a solved problem :)

99% of the time spent on my masters thesis so far has only been familiarising myself with different software :( Frustration is starting to run quite high!:yuck:

Dear Azael
Please convey to me what was the answer of your question.
I also want to know.
Best Wishes

It is understandable that you are having difficulty interpreting the MCNP output file, specifically table 140 that describes reaction rates. In order to convert the weight lost to capture into an actual reaction rate, you will need to use the conversion factor provided in the MCNP manual. This conversion factor takes into account the weight of the target material, the number of simulated particles, and the simulation time.

To calculate the breeding ratio of U-233 from thorium, you will need to use the information from the table to determine the production rate of U-233 and the consumption rate of U-233. The production rate can be found by summing up the weight lost to capture for the reactions Th-232(n,gamma) and Pa-233(n, absorption) and dividing it by the simulation time. The consumption rate can be found by summing up the weight lost to capture for the reaction U-233(n, absorption) and dividing it by the simulation time.

Once you have these values, you can then calculate the breeding ratio by dividing the production rate by the consumption rate. I would also recommend consulting the MCNP manual for further guidance on interpreting the output file and calculating reaction rates. I hope this helps and good luck with your research.

1. What is MCNP output and why do I need help with reading it?

MCNP (Monte Carlo N-Particle) is a computer code used for simulating and analyzing nuclear and radiation processes. Its output provides detailed information about particle interactions and transport in a given system. It is a complex output that may require assistance to interpret and analyze correctly.

2. How can I access the MCNP output?

The MCNP output is generated in a text file format and can be accessed through the MCNP code or by opening the file directly. It is important to properly name and save the output file to easily locate and refer to it later.

3. What are some key features to look for in the MCNP output?

Some key features to look for in the MCNP output include the tally results, which provide information about particle flux and energy deposition, and the track structure, which shows the path of individual particles through the system. It is also important to check for any warnings or error messages that may indicate issues with the simulation.

4. How can I troubleshoot any issues with the MCNP output?

If you encounter any issues with the MCNP output, it is important to carefully review the input file and make sure all parameters and options are correctly specified. You can also consult the MCNP user manual or seek assistance from other users or experts in the field.

5. Are there any resources available for learning how to read MCNP output?

Yes, there are various resources available for learning how to read MCNP output, including online tutorials, user manuals, and training courses. It may also be helpful to consult with experienced users or attend workshops or conferences related to MCNP and nuclear/radiation physics.