Distance/speed trig question

• Thread starter avr10
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the person is trying to find the speed of a car that is approaching them at an angle of 45 degrees, with the angle increasing at a rate of 10 degrees per second. By setting up a diagram and using the fact that tan(x) = y/150, they were able to use implicit differentiation to find that the car is traveling at a speed of approximately 52.2 feet per second.
avr10

Homework Statement

You are 150 feet away from a road. Looking down the road, you notice a car heading in your direction such that the angle formed by your line of vision to the car and the road is 45 degrees, and this angle is increasing at a rate of 10 degrees per second. How fast is the car traveling?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I drew the diagram such that I'm standing on the positive side of the x-axis, and such that the car is heading down the y-axis (the road) toward the origin. I'm given [tex] \frac {d\theta}{dt} = 10 [/tex], and I want to find [tex] \frac {dy}{dt} [/tex].

What I did was set [tex] \theta = \arctan { \frac {150}{150-\frac{dy}{dt}*t}} [/tex] then tried to take the derivative of that...but the [tex]\frac {dy}{dt}[/tex] term is leaving me confused as to how to derive such a thing. Ideas?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it would be simpler to just say [itex]tan(\theta)= y/150[/itex] (I don't know where you got that "120") and use implicit differentiation:
[tex]sec^2(\theta)\frac{d\theta}{dt}= \frac{1}{150}\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]

Thanks; the 120 was a typo which I now fixed. When I do that (I used [tex]\tan{\theta} = 150/y [/tex]), I end up getting something like 3000 ft/s, which I think there is something wrong with... why am I getting such a big number?

Remember that the derivative of tan(x) is sec2(x) when x is measured in radians. sec(45)= [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] and you are given that [itex]d\theta/dt[itex]= 10 degrees= [itex](\pi/180)*10[/itex] radians so you should get [itex]dy/dt= (150)(2)(\pi/18)[/itex] which is about 52.2

1. What is the formula for calculating distance using speed and time?

The formula for calculating distance is distance = speed x time. This means that the distance traveled is equal to the speed of an object multiplied by the time it takes to travel.

2. How do you calculate speed using distance and time?

The formula for calculating speed is speed = distance / time. This means that the speed of an object is equal to the distance traveled divided by the time it takes to travel.

3. What units are typically used for distance and speed?

The most commonly used unit for distance is meters (m) and for speed is meters per second (m/s). However, other units such as kilometers (km) and miles (mi) can also be used.

4. How do you convert units of distance and speed?

To convert units of distance, you can use conversion factors such as 1 km = 1000 m or 1 mi = 1609 m. To convert units of speed, you can use the same conversion factors but also consider the time unit. For example, to convert m/s to km/h, you would multiply by 3.6 (since 1 km = 1000 m and 1 hour = 3600 seconds).

5. Can you use trigonometry to calculate distance or speed?

Yes, trigonometry can be used to calculate distance or speed in certain situations, such as when an object is moving at an angle. In these cases, you can use the sine, cosine, or tangent functions to find the distance or speed of the object.