Projectile velocity and flight time

In summary: Your Name]In summary, Andrew is interested in creating a ballistics program using Visual basic. He is stuck on calculating the projectile flight time and velocity, which requires considering factors such as muzzle velocity, ballistic coefficient, and air drag. He is also unsure of how to calculate the ballistic coefficient and how to account for air drag at different altitudes. To create his program, he can use an algorithm that incorporates the data and equations mentioned above.
Andrew46826
Hi this is my first post here so I hope it's in the right place!

I am doing a computer course and we are using visual basic which is a programming program!

I am a hunter and also I am very interested in ballistics of rifles. I want to make a ballistics program using Visual basic but I am stuck on the projectile flight time and velocity.
Because if I have these two things I can work out bullet drop can I not?

I have made a sectional density calculator already that was quite simple.

I know that I need the muzzle velocity of the bullet which is easy, and I also need to know the ballistic co-efficient of a bullet, which I am also a little stuck on. Then I also I guess air drag comes into it which is different at different altitudes.

So how do I go about calculating these?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Andrew

Science news on Phys.org

Hello Andrew,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on taking on such an interesting project! I can definitely appreciate your passion for ballistics and using technology to further your knowledge.

To calculate the projectile flight time and velocity, you will need to consider several factors such as the muzzle velocity of the bullet, the ballistic coefficient, and air drag. The muzzle velocity can be easily obtained from the manufacturer or by conducting your own tests. The ballistic coefficient, on the other hand, is a bit more complex to determine.

The ballistic coefficient is a measure of how well a bullet can maintain its velocity and overcome air resistance. It is affected by several factors such as the shape and weight of the bullet, as well as the atmospheric conditions. To calculate the ballistic coefficient, you will need to conduct a series of tests using different bullets and recording their velocities at different distances. From these data points, you can then use a ballistics calculator or software to determine the ballistic coefficient for each bullet.

As for air drag, you are correct in noting that it varies at different altitudes. This is because air density changes with altitude, which in turn affects the amount of air resistance a bullet experiences. To accurately calculate air drag, you will need to take into account the altitude, temperature, humidity, and other environmental factors. There are also mathematical equations and software available that can help you with this calculation.

In terms of creating your program, you can use the data and equations mentioned above to create an algorithm that will calculate the flight time and velocity for a given bullet at a specific distance. This algorithm can then be incorporated into your visual basic program to make it user-friendly and visually appealing.

I hope this helps guide you in your project. Best of luck to you and happy programming!

Hello Andrew,

Thank you for sharing your project and questions with us. It's great to see someone combining their interests in hunting and programming to create a ballistics program.

To answer your first question, yes, knowing the projectile velocity and flight time can help you calculate bullet drop. However, there are other factors that can also affect bullet drop, such as wind speed and direction, temperature, and altitude. So, it's important to consider these factors as well when creating your program.

In terms of calculating the muzzle velocity and ballistic coefficient, these can be determined through experimentation or by consulting data from bullet manufacturers. You can also use external ballistics calculators or software to help you determine these values.

As you mentioned, air drag is also an important factor to consider. The drag coefficient, which takes into account the shape and size of the bullet, can be used to calculate air drag. This value can also be found through experimentation or by consulting data from manufacturers.

I suggest doing some research on external ballistics and consulting with experts in the field to ensure accuracy in your program. Good luck with your project!

1. What is projectile velocity?

Projectile velocity refers to the speed at which an object is launched or thrown through the air. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s).

2. How is projectile velocity calculated?

Projectile velocity is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the object (in meters or feet) by the time it takes to travel that distance (in seconds). This calculation gives the average velocity of the object.

3. What factors affect projectile velocity?

The factors that affect projectile velocity include the angle at which the object is launched, the initial speed of the object, and the effects of air resistance or drag.

4. What is the relationship between projectile velocity and flight time?

The relationship between projectile velocity and flight time is dependent on the angle at which the object is launched. The higher the initial velocity, the longer the flight time will be. However, if the angle of launch is changed, the flight time can also be affected.

5. How can projectile velocity and flight time be used in real-life applications?

Projectile velocity and flight time are important concepts in fields such as physics, engineering, and ballistics. They can be used to calculate the trajectory of a projectile, such as a bullet or a sports ball, and to determine the distance and accuracy of a shot. This information is crucial in sports, military operations, and other real-life scenarios.