Orbital question(elliptical vs circular orbit)

In summary, in an elliptical orbit, the speed is NOT the same at perigee and apogee (those are the points of maximum and minimum speed), so if that's what you're saying, you've got something wrong.
t4chan
are there two points or one in an elliptical orbit where the speed is equal to the speed of a circular orbit at the same radius? if so what is the expression for this point?

Thank you

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hi again,

After I picking up a pencil and paper, I was able to find the 2 points where the instantaneous speed are equal in elliptical and circular orbit at the same radius, it is actually right at the perigee and apogee in the orbit ( see the diagram below). In addition, I have find expression for elliptical an circular orbital speed; which are:

V= SQR( GM/ R) - Circular orbit

V= SQR(GM *( (2/R)-(1/a) ) ) Elliptical orbit

Now, I have a doubt, how do I express these to these two velocity in terms of these point( same instantaneous speed at perigee and apogee at that point?) because when I set them both to be equal each, it actually canceled out.

Any ideas?

Alex

Attachments

• image024.gif
    image024.gif
    6.8 KB · Views: 1,239
If this is a homework question, please take it to the homework and coursework area.

In a circular orbit, the speed is the same all the way round, but in an elliptical orbit, the speed is NOT the same at perigee and apogee (those are the points of maximum and minimum speed), so if that's what you're saying, you've got something wrong.

yes, you are right that about the speed in elliptical orbit. But from the attached diagram, the speed of the two intersection points between elliptical and circular orbit should be the same( i.e at the point of V and the opposite point of it). then if that is true, a expression of these points in terms of velocity should be able to derive.

I hope I have made the question clear
( I shouldn't use the word of perigee and apogee, sorry)

t4chan said:
yes, you are right that about the speed in elliptical orbit. But from the attached diagram, the speed of the two intersection points between elliptical and circular orbit should be the same( i.e at the point of V and the opposite point of it). then if that is true, a expression of these points in terms of velocity should be able to derive.

I hope I have made the question clear
( I shouldn't use the word of perigee and apogee, sorry)

Nope, still doesn't make sense. Lowest point of orbit is fastest, highest is slowest.

t4chan said:
are there two points or one in an elliptical orbit where the speed is equal to the speed of a circular orbit at the same radius?
Of course so (although obviously or by ODE uniqueness theorems the direction will differ), because at one apex the eccentric orbit is too fast and at the other it is too slow (IVT). Your diagram is a bit funny though, since your example circle isn't even centred upon the same point that the ellipse is orbiting.

Jonathan Scott said:
Nope, still doesn't make sense. Lowest point of orbit is fastest, highest is slowest.

ok, I think I got it. so there are two different points in the diagram that have the same speed. Each of the points(i.e perigee and apogee) has a corresponding speed in elliptical and circular orbit. The lowest points of orbit is fastest , and the highest of the orbit is slowest.

Now, I hope I have made my statement right, please allow me to ask this question again: does the statement apply to the attached diagram that for both circular and elliptical orbit have the same speed in the lowest and highest orbit?

Why are you plotting position vs. time as opposed to speed vs. time? The latter plot is the one where it's easy to see that there must be at least two positions where the speeds are the same.

Here this might help. It shows both orbits with the focus of the orbits aligned. Where the orbits cross is where the instantaneous orbital speed will be equal for both.

Attachments

• orbits.png
    orbits.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 1,216

What is the difference between an elliptical and circular orbit?

An elliptical orbit is a type of orbit in which the shape of the path followed by an object around another object is an ellipse. A circular orbit is a type of orbit in which the shape of the path followed by an object around another object is a perfect circle.

Which type of orbit is more common in our solar system?

Circular orbits are more common in our solar system. Most of the planets in our solar system have nearly circular orbits around the sun.

What determines the shape of an orbit?

The shape of an orbit is determined by the balance between the object's velocity and the gravitational pull of the object it is orbiting. If the velocity is too low, the object will fall towards the larger object and crash into it. If the velocity is too high, the object will fly off into space. For a circular orbit, the velocity must be just right to maintain a constant distance from the larger object. For an elliptical orbit, the velocity can vary, causing the object to move closer and further away from the larger object.

Can an object in an elliptical orbit change to a circular orbit?

Yes, an object in an elliptical orbit can change to a circular orbit. This can happen if the object's velocity is increased or decreased to match the speed required for a circular orbit. This change in velocity can be caused by gravitational forces from other objects, such as a planet or moon, or by using propulsion systems on the object itself.

What are some real-life examples of objects in elliptical and circular orbits?

Some real-life examples of objects in elliptical orbits include comets, which have highly elongated elliptical orbits around the sun. Some examples of objects in circular orbits include satellites orbiting the Earth, such as the International Space Station, and the moons orbiting other planets in our solar system.