Spot Student Mistakes: 1/x < x < 1

• Thread starter garyljc
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about spotting the mistakes made by a student in solving a problem involving the statement 1/x < x < 1, which leads to the conclusion that there are no solutions. The first mistake is assuming that x is always greater than 0, which is not necessarily true. The second mistake is assuming that if 1/x < x < 1, then 1 < x^2, which is also not always true. Another mistake pointed out is that if x > 0, then 0 < 1 < x^2 < x, which is not a valid conclusion. The conversation ends by discussing how the previous points rule out negative values from consideration.
garyljc

Homework Statement

Spot the mistakes of a student

Homework Equations

1/x < x < 1
therefore 1<x^2
therefore 1<x
but x<1 therefore there are no solution

The Attempt at a Solution

the questions requires me to spot the mistake made by a student
so first of all
in the 2nd line , it reads 1<x^2 . this statement is wrong since the student assumes that x is always >0

i'm not too sure about about the second one , namely 1<x . Since it's related to the first one . What should i put ?
is there any other mistakes i have not spotted ?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are given the statement x2 > 1, it doesn't necessarily imply that x>1. Consider the case where x=-5. x2=25 which is certainly greater than 1, but x>1 is not true. Again, the student has assumed that x is positive.

so does it mean there's only one mistake ?

If [tex] x > 0 [/tex] you can't have

[tex]
0 < \frac 1 x < x < 1
[/tex]

because this is equivalent to

[tex]
0 < 1 < x^2 < x
[/tex]

If 1/x < x < 1, it does not necessarily follow that 1 < x^2.

For example, for x=-1/2, we have -2 < -1/2 < 1, but 1 < 1/4 is false.

In fact, the implication is false for all -1 < x < 0.

If the previous post was directed at mine, you missed one of my points.
I said
If [tex] x > 0 [/tex] you can't have

[tex]
0 < \frac 1 x < x < 1
[/tex]

because (if you multiply through the inequality by [tex] x [/tex]) then you would have

[tex]
0 < 1 < x^2 < x
[/tex]

My initial comment ruled out negative values from consideration. logarithmic, if I misunderstood you post by assuming it was meant at me, I apologize.

1. What does the inequality 1/x < x < 1 mean?

The inequality 1/x < x < 1 means that x is a number greater than 0 and less than 1. It is important to note that x cannot equal 0 or 1.

2. How do you solve an inequality with three variables?

To solve an inequality with three variables, you must first isolate the variable in the middle. In this case, since 1/x < x < 1, we must isolate x. Multiply both sides of the inequality by x to get 1 < x^2 < x. Then, take the square root of all three sides to get 1 < x < √x. Finally, square both sides again to get 1 < x^2 < x. This is the final solution.

3. Can the value of x in this inequality be negative?

No, the value of x in this inequality cannot be negative. Since the inequality states that x must be greater than 0 and less than 1, a negative value for x would not satisfy this condition.

4. How does this inequality relate to graphing on a number line?

This inequality can be graphed on a number line by first plotting the points x = 0 and x = 1, and then shading the area in between these two points. Since 1/x < x < 1, the solution would be all values of x between 0 and 1, but not including 0 or 1.

5. What are some real-life applications of this inequality?

This inequality can be used to represent limits in mathematics, such as in calculus. It can also be applied in physics and engineering to represent relationships between variables, such as velocity and acceleration.