Visible Light: Wavelength & Frequency

In summary, the property of visible light that determines its color is its frequency, not its wavelength. This is because the frequency remains constant when light enters a different medium, while the wavelength changes. The frequency also determines the energy of a photon and whether it will be absorbed by the atoms or molecules in our eyes. Therefore, color is primarily determined by frequency, making it a subjective phenomenon.
Gear300
What property of visible light defines its color, the wavelength or frequency (or something else)?

Physics news on Phys.org
A very strange question. That looks to me like something you are expected to look up. Are you aware that aware that frequency*wavelength= (number of waves per second)*(length of one wave)= distance light travels in one second= speed of light?

Yes, I am aware of that. I was reading a bit on dispersion; the index of refraction for a medium is inversely related to the wavelength of incoming light so that if a beam of white light was incident on a prism, it would lead to a dispersion of the different colors. What got to me was that since the wavelength and speed of light change when entering a different medium, wouldn't that imply that if a ray of green light were to be incident to a surface, wouldn't it change color while in the new medium (although, the frequency is the same)?

Ah...this is actually a physiology question. The question is whether the cones in our eyes respond to frequency or wavelength.

I'll answer your question with a question: if you are swimming (and your eyes are under water), does a red object still look red?

It's the frequency that doesn't change when going from one medium to the other, but the wavelength does change. It's also the frequency that determines the energy of a photon and that determines whether an atom or molecule (in your eye, for instance), absorbs the photon or not. So, in that sense, frequency determines color.

Vanadium 50 said:
Ah...this is actually a physiology question. The question is whether the cones in our eyes respond to frequency or wavelength.

I'll answer your question with a question: if you are swimming (and your eyes are under water), does a red object still look red?

The way I'm thinking of it is whether somebody is underwater or not, the light still enters the eyes. In that case, the final medium would ultimately be the parts of the eye. So, if light has a frequency/wavelength for green while in vacuum, then regardless of whether its in some other medium, its considered to be green light (since that is what the eyes will associate as green).

borgwal said:
It's the frequency that doesn't change when going from one medium to the other, but the wavelength does change. It's also the frequency that determines the energy of a photon and that determines whether an atom or molecule (in your eye, for instance), absorbs the photon or not. So, in that sense, frequency determines color.

I see...this makes good sense...
There is one more question I have...
Color is more or less a subjective phenomenon, right?

What is visible light?

Visible light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that is visible to the human eye. It is part of the electromagnetic spectrum, which also includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays.

What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency of visible light?

The wavelength and frequency of visible light are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation c=λν, where c is the speed of light, λ is the wavelength, and ν is the frequency.

How is visible light produced?

Visible light is produced by the acceleration of charged particles. This can occur naturally, such as in the sun's core where nuclear reactions produce light, or artificially, such as in light bulbs where electricity is used to heat a filament and produce light.

What colors can be seen in visible light?

The colors that can be seen in visible light are red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet. These colors make up the visible spectrum, which can be seen when white light is passed through a prism and separated into its different wavelengths.

How does the human eye perceive different wavelengths of visible light?

The human eye contains cells called cones that are sensitive to different wavelengths of light. When light enters the eye, it is focused onto the retina where the cones are located. The cones then send signals to the brain, which interprets the signals as different colors. The combination of signals from different cones allows us to perceive the full spectrum of visible light.