Simple(ish) mechanics problem, conservation of energy

In summary, the conversation discusses using the conservation of energy principle to calculate the angular velocity of a particle on a frictionless sphere, given its starting position and angle. The solution involves finding the total energy of the system and setting it equal to the kinetic and potential energies of the particle at any given moment. This results in an expression for the angular frequency in terms of theta, which is the desired answer.
grahammtb

Homework Statement

A particle sits at the top of a sphere of fixed radius a. It is given a tiny nudge and begins to slide down the frictionless surface of the sphere. My attachment won't work so I'll try and explain. Theta, [tex]\theta[/tex], is the angle which the particle makes with the vertical axis of the sphere. When the particle is at angle theta, it is still in contact with the sphere.

Part (c): Use the conservation of energy principle to calculate the angular velocity d[tex]\theta[/tex]/dt as a function of [tex]\theta[/tex].

Homework Equations

I'm assuming I'll need the kinetic and potential energy equations...

The Attempt at a Solution

I've had a go, but I think its wrong :confused:

I start with saying the total energy of the system is equal to the gravitational energy of the particle when it is at the top of the sphere, at height 2a. So E(total) = 2mga.
Now, at any other moment in time, the kinetic and potential of the particle must equal this. So: 2mga = 0.5mv2 + mgh. A bit of rearranging and I canceled m and got this: v2 = 2g(2a-h).

Now, I put h in terms of a and theta like this: h = cos([tex]\theta[/tex]) + a. So I have an expression for v in terms of a and theta.
I put this into the formula: d[tex]\theta[/tex]/dt = v/r = v/a to get the final answer for angular frequency in terms of theta!

It seems a little hefty for just 4 marks, which is why I think I'm wrong or there might be an easier method.
Any advice would be fantastic!

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks basically fine, except I get h=a*cos(theta)+a (typo, I hope). I can't really think of any easier way to do it.

Dick said:
That looks basically fine, except I get h=a*cos(theta)+a (typo, I hope). I can't really think of any easier way to do it.

Thanks very much! It was a typo, thankfully.
:tongue:

1. What is the concept of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transferred or converted from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

2. How is conservation of energy related to simple mechanics problems?

In simple mechanics problems, the total amount of energy at the beginning of a system is equal to the total amount of energy at the end of the system. This is because the forces acting on the system do not add or subtract any energy from the system, they only transfer it from one form to another.

3. What are the different forms of energy involved in conservation of energy?

The different forms of energy involved in conservation of energy include kinetic energy (energy of motion), potential energy (stored energy), thermal energy (heat), electrical energy, and chemical energy.

4. Can energy be lost in a system due to friction?

Yes, energy can be lost in a system due to friction. This is because friction converts kinetic energy into thermal energy, which dissipates into the surrounding environment. However, the total amount of energy in the system remains constant.

5. How can the conservation of energy be applied to real-world situations?

The law of conservation of energy can be applied to real-world situations such as calculating the energy needed to lift an object, determining the speed of a moving object, or analyzing the energy flow in a chemical reaction. It is a fundamental concept in physics and plays a crucial role in understanding and predicting various natural phenomena.