So... how do I find the area of a circle segment without knowing the angle?

• Thread starter ladil123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circle
In summary, to get the area of the segment on the top of the circle, you can use the formula A=0.5*r*(b-w)+w*h, where b is the arc length and can be calculated using the formula b=r*angle*pi/180. If you do not know the angle, you can use the known values of w, h, and r to calculate the area of the segment. This should result in an approximate area of 696 mm2. However, if you are unable to calculate it analytically, you can subtract the area of the triangle from the area of the sector to get the desired area.
ladil123
Hello!

How do i get the area of this segment on the top of the circle?

w=44.5 mm
h=10.35 mm
r=34.9 mm

I have found some formulas for calculating the area, but it seems like I need some angle.. ? What If i don't know the angle...?

A=0.5*r*(b-w)+w*h

b is the arc length, b = r*angle*pi/180

How do I use this angle?

I know that the answer should be approx 696 mm2 from a computer program, but I can't do it analytically...

Need help

Attachments

• circlesegment.gif
    circlesegment.gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 465
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello ladil123! :smile:

Subtract the area of the triangle from the area of the sector. :wink:

Sorry, I am too slow to get it...

ladil123 said:
Sorry, I am too slow to get it...

Add the segment to the obvious triangle, and you get a "piece of pie". :smile:

1. What is a circle segment?

A circle segment is a part of a circle that is bounded by an arc and a chord. It is also known as a circular sector.

2. How do you calculate the area of a circle segment?

The area of a circle segment can be calculated by using the formula A = (θ/360) x πr², where θ is the central angle of the segment and r is the radius of the circle.

3. What is the difference between a minor and major circle segment?

A minor circle segment is a smaller part of a circle that is bounded by a minor arc and chord, while a major circle segment is a larger part of a circle that is bounded by a major arc and chord.

4. Can the area of a circle segment be greater than the area of the whole circle?

No, the area of a circle segment can never be greater than the area of the whole circle. The area of a circle segment is always a fraction of the area of the whole circle.

5. How is the area of a circle segment related to the central angle?

The area of a circle segment is directly proportional to the central angle. This means that as the central angle increases, the area of the segment also increases.