Zenith Angle of Moon Terminator?

• Thread starter darethehair
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle Moon
In summary, the formula for calculating the angle of the Moon's terminator with respect to the horizon is called the "terminator angle" and it is calculated by taking the difference between the azimuths of the sun and the moon's terminator line. To calculate the azimuths, you need to take into account the declination of both the sun and the moon, as well as the local latitude at the time of the observation. More information on this calculation can be found in the article "Calculating the Terminator Angle" by Dennis di Cicco.
darethehair
Hello, newbie here!

My basic question is simply this: what is the formula/calculation required to derive the angle of the Moon's terminator with respect to the *horizon*? Obviously, it will point to the Sun in some way -- but I want to know its orientation in az/alt terms -- not with respect to the celestial pole.

I have done a lot of hair-pulling in the last few days trying to find the clear and correct answer to this question.

My interpretation of the code in the 1990 edition of 'Astronomy With Your Personal Computer' is to calculate the slope of the az/alt of the Moon taken slightly before/after the time of interest -- but I am beginning to doubt that this is correct, since it does not account for the fact that the moon is exactly aligned with the ecliptic (where the Sun is located).

I recently explored treating the Moon/Sun az/alt as 'long/lat', in hopes that a 'great circle bearing' between the two would be better, but the math gets messed up in some situations (below the horizon?).

My question is similar to -- but not the same -- as was asked here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2116901

Thanks! Please save the rest of my hair!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Welcome! It's great that you're doing some research on this topic. The formula you are looking for is called the "terminator angle" and it is a calculation of the angle between the sun and the moon's terminator line. The terminator angle is calculated by taking the difference between the azimuths of the sun and the moon's terminator line. To calculate the azimuths, you need to take into account the declination of both the sun and the moon, as well as the local latitude at the time of the observation. You can find more information about this calculation in the article "Calculating the Terminator Angle" by Dennis di Cicco (http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects-and-events/calculating-the-terminator-angle/). I hope this helps!

1. What is the Zenith Angle of Moon Terminator?

The Zenith Angle of Moon Terminator is the angle between the line connecting the center of the Moon and the observer's zenith (directly overhead) and the line connecting the center of the Moon and the point where the Moon's illuminated and unilluminated portions meet (the terminator).

2. How is the Zenith Angle of Moon Terminator measured?

The Zenith Angle of Moon Terminator is typically measured using a protractor or a clinometer. These tools allow for precise measurement of angles and are commonly used by astronomers and scientists.

3. What factors can affect the Zenith Angle of Moon Terminator?

The Zenith Angle of Moon Terminator can be affected by the position of the Moon in its orbit, the location of the observer, and the time of day. Additionally, atmospheric conditions such as clouds and haze can also impact the angle.

4. Why is the Zenith Angle of Moon Terminator important in astronomy?

The Zenith Angle of Moon Terminator is important in astronomy because it can provide information about the Moon's phase and position in the sky. It can also help in determining the best times and locations for observing the Moon and its features.

5. How does the Zenith Angle of Moon Terminator change throughout the lunar cycle?

The Zenith Angle of Moon Terminator changes throughout the lunar cycle as the Moon's position in its orbit changes. During a full moon, the angle will be close to 180 degrees, while during a new moon, the angle will be close to 0 degrees. The angle also changes throughout the night as the Moon rises and sets.