What is the four-momentum of a photon and its associated four-velocity?

• Thread starter protonchain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photon
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of four-momentum and its application to particles such as photons and tachyons. The four-momentum is a 4-dimensional vector that includes the energy and momentum of a particle. It is also mentioned that the speed of light is the upper limit of velocity, but certain particles can travel faster than the speed of light in a medium.
protonchain
I've searched all over the web to get an answer for this, to no avail. So I decided to ask this question here and I'm hoping someone can.

What is the four-momentum of a photon?

I saw online that the 4-momentum is [tex]P = m_{0}U[/tex] but then this leaves me with another question and that is, what is the four-velocity [tex] U [/tex] of a photon. I don't believe it exists because a photon is never at rest.

Can anyone help me with this? Many thanks beforehand for any advice and assistance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi protonchain, welcome to PF

That definition of the four-momentum is nice, because it is a nice direct analogy of the usual Newtonian momentum. However, as you note, the four-velocity of a photon is not defined, so that particular definition of the four-momentum is not useful for a photon. However, even for a photon the following definition of energy applies:
E² = m²c^4 + c²(p.p)

As does the following definition of the four-momentum:
P = (E/c,p)

Since m=0, combining those two gives the four-momentum of a photon as:
(|p|,p)
or equivalently for a photon traveling in the x direction:
(E/c,E/c,0,0)

Dear Dale,

Thank you very much for the welcome, and of course for the beautiful answer to my question.

May I just clarify one small detail? I'm sorry to trouble you.

So the Energy of the photon that you had given was

1. [tex] E^{2} = m^{2}c^{4} + c^{2}(p \cdot p)[/tex]

I've seen in my textbook and in references that

2. [tex] E = h \nu = U_{\alpha}p^{\alpha} [/tex]

where [tex]U_{\alpha}[/tex] is the 4-velocity and [tex] p^{\alpha}[/tex] is the 4-momentum.

So from my understanding [tex]U_{\alpha}[/tex] is obviously not the photon velocity but of an observer of some kind, and then [tex] p^{\alpha}[/tex] is the one you just described.

Does that mean I can equate the square root of equation 1 with 2, aka

[tex] E = \sqrt{c^{2}(p \cdot p)} = U_{\alpha}p^{\alpha}[/tex]

I thought that [tex] U_{\alpha} [/tex] was related to time in some form, so when I glanced at my reference book, and at your equation for energy, I was a little perplexed as to how the 2 equated.

Again sorry to trouble you with even more questions, I promise this is the last :smile:

[itex]U^{\alpha}[/itex] is the 4-velocity of the observer who is measuring the energy, and so in the observer's coordinates,

[tex]U^0 = c[/tex]

[tex]U^1 = U^2 = U^3 = 0[/tex]​

Dear Dr. Greg,

Thank you for clarifying that note. The advice from both you as well as Dale are much appreciated! :)

i heard that speed of light was the upper limit of the velocity but in Cerenkov Radiation the particle is going in speed more than that of light and if charged particles do so in a medium doesn't it show cooling effect? can anyone answer this questions please...

does particles having more than the speed of light as tachyons only have four momentum or every thing has four momentum??

how come photons have four momentum in what conditions does it have four momentum? c

nik21bigbang said:
i heard that speed of light was the upper limit of the velocity but in Cerenkov Radiation the particle is going in speed more than that of light and if charged particles do so in a medium doesn't it show cooling effect? can anyone answer this questions please...
Welcome to PF!

The fastest speed is c, the speed of light in vacuum. In water, for example, it is possible for particles to travel faster than the speed of light in water, which is about ¾c, but still slower than c.
nik21bigbang said:
does particles having more than the speed of light as tachyons only have four momentum or every thing has four momentum??
nik21bigbang said:
how come photons have four momentum in what conditions does it have four momentum? c
All particles, including photons and hypothetical tachyons, have 4-momentum. You take the particle's energy and its three components of momentum and use those to form a 4-dimensional vector, as indicated by previous posts in this thread.

thanks a lot dr greg that explains a lot.

1. What is the four-momentum of a photon?

The four-momentum of a photon is a vector quantity that describes the energy and momentum of a photon. It is represented by four components: energy, momentum in the x, y, and z directions. The total four-momentum of a photon is always equal to its energy divided by the speed of light.

2. How is the four-momentum of a photon calculated?

The four-momentum of a photon can be calculated using the following formula: P = (E, px, py, pz) = (E, pcx, pcy, pcz), where E is the energy of the photon and px, py, and pz are the components of the momentum in the x, y, and z directions, respectively. The speed of light, c, is always included in the calculation.

3. What is the significance of the four-momentum of a photon?

The four-momentum of a photon is significant because it obeys the laws of conservation of energy and momentum. This means that the total four-momentum of a system of photons remains constant, even if individual photons are created or destroyed. This allows for the prediction and understanding of interactions involving photons, such as in the field of quantum mechanics.

4. Can the four-momentum of a photon change?

Yes, the four-momentum of a photon can change if the photon is involved in an interaction or collision. In these cases, the energy and momentum of the photon may be transferred to other particles, resulting in a change in the photon's four-momentum. However, the total four-momentum of the system will remain constant.

5. How does the four-momentum of a photon differ from that of a massive particle?

The four-momentum of a photon differs from that of a massive particle in that photons have zero rest mass, meaning their energy and momentum are solely dependent on their frequency (or wavelength). In contrast, massive particles have rest mass, and their energy and momentum are determined by both their mass and velocity. Additionally, the four-momentum of a photon is always null, meaning its square is equal to zero, while the four-momentum of a massive particle is always timelike or spacelike, meaning its square is either positive or negative, respectively.