Michael jordan vs my roommate

• Thread starter iacephysics
  • Start date
In summary, two roommates engaged in a hypothetical argument about whether or not one could beat Michael Jordan in a one-on-one basketball game after 1000 years of nonstop training. The roommate claims that with access to proper training equipment and studying Jordan's tapes, he could beat him to 100 points. However, it is debated whether or not this is a realistic scenario and if Jordan would still be at his prime after 1000 years. The conversation also touches on the importance of determination and constant challenges in achieving maximum performance in any skill.

Can he beat MJ

• YES

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • NO WAY

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters
iacephysics
My roommate and I argue about a lot of stupid ****. A few days ago, we were arguing about nature versus nurture. Eventually we came to a specific example. My roommate says that, given 1000 years of nonstop training, he could beat michael jordan in a one on one basketball game to 100. Some details about this claim: my roommate would not age during those 1000 years (21 currently). He would be able to study jordan's tapes during those 1000 years, he would have access to proper training equipment/strategies/anything else he could need, and he would not have any responsibilities besides training. He is a 6'2'' guy who is currently pretty good at pick-up basketball, but he didn't play for his high school basketball team or anything. Michael jordan would be at his prime (he would be as good as he was in like '92 or something, he's not training during those 1000 years).

Yes or No. Could he beat him in this epic one on one game!?

Physics news on Phys.org
iacephysics said:
My roommate and I argue about a lot of stupid ****. A few days ago, we were arguing about nature versus nurture. Eventually we came to a specific example. My roommate says that, given 1000 years of nonstop training, he could beat michael jordan in a one on one basketball game to 100. Some details about this claim: my roommate would not age during those 1000 years (21 currently). He would be able to study jordan's tapes during those 1000 years, he would have access to proper training equipment/strategies/anything else he could need, and he would not have any responsibilities besides training. He is a 6'2'' guy who is currently pretty good at pick-up basketball, but he didn't play for his high school basketball team or anything. Michael jordan would be at his prime (he would be as good as he was in like '92 or something, he's not training during those 1000 years).

Yes or No. Could he beat him in this epic one on one game!?
If Jordan remained young and continued to also improve, probably not. Oh wait, the catch is that Jordan can't play for 1,000 years? Can we have a more realistic scenario?

Last edited:
Yes, provided that MJ doesn't do that much of hard work.

I think it would be far less than 1000 years. (Something like >5/10 yrs should be sufficient).

rootX said:
Yes, provided that MJ doesn't do that much of hard work.

I think it would be far less than 1000 years. (Something like >5/10 yrs should be sufficient).

No way! All pro basketball players have had far more than 5 or 10 years training, and I bet the vast majority of them couldn't beat MJ.

lisab said:
No way! All pro basketball players have had far more than 5 or 10 years training, and I bet the vast majority of them couldn't beat MJ.

But they have other responsibilities and it is not easy to devote yourself to only one thing .

(Are sleeping/eating also responsibilities? :tongue2:)

Would he have access to playing against people like Kobe Bryant and Lebron James?

Does he have MJ's motivation and focus?

How would he improve things like reflexes and jumping ability to surpass MJ?

You two need a social life.

Wait a sec...I want this deal! I'd goof off and have a *great* time for 999.5 years. Then I'd do some sit ups and learn to play H.O.R.S.E. Then I'd play MJ, get my butt whipped, and call it a lost bet.

Where do I sign up?

Well, we all know what Michael looks like, but what about your roomie?

Cyrus said:
You two need a social life.

It's his roommate. Weird topics come up at 3am with roommates.

moose said:
It's his roommate. Weird topics come up at 3am with roommates.

The should be talking about what supermodel they want to sleep with at 3am. :wink:

No, they should be talking about which supermodels they HAVE slept with. The entire conversation is lies of course, but it's far more interesting and still conveys the information of yours

Some should have a pole about the dumbest polls ever put on PF.

Basketball is a skill, and like any skill the learning curve is sigmoidal, with an upper asymptote determined by physical characteristics (such as intelligence, height, agility, etc).

Of course, to move along that learning curve one needs to be faced with constant challenges and they need the determination to keep practicing against those challenges. Most people do not come anywhere close to achieving their theoretical maximum performance at anything, because this requires a level of single-minded determination that most people don't have.

I think that almost any healthy human being could beat Michael Jordan today if they had 1000 years of practice, given that their determination never wavered, and their practice steadily become more and more challenging to match their current skill level.

My money would be on MJ.

Cyrus said:
The should be talking about what supermodel they want to sleep with at 3am. :wink:

Scarlet Johansen

Cyrus said:

It just ocurred to me this is ambiguous

They should be [talking about what supermodel they want to sleep with] at 3am.

or

They should be talking about [what supermodel they want to sleep with at 3am]

junglebeast said:
Basketball is a skill, and like any skill the learning curve is sigmoidal, with an upper asymptote determined by physical characteristics (such as intelligence, height, agility, etc).

Of course, to move along that learning curve one needs to be faced with constant challenges and they need the determination to keep practicing against those challenges. Most people do not come anywhere close to achieving their theoretical maximum performance at anything, because this requires a level of single-minded determination that most people don't have.

I think that almost any healthy human being could beat Michael Jordan today if they had 1000 years of practice, given that their determination never wavered, and their practice steadily become more and more challenging to match their current skill level.

+1

Any reasonably well suited person can meet head on with a professional basketball player with enough practice. Your friend seems reasonably well suited. If he were a 2.5 foot tall midget with a walking disability, I doubt he would slaughter MJ regardless of his training length/routine. But as it stands, he sounds quite capable.

After a thousand years of training, you would be able to throw up any shot, from any angle and make it 99.9% of the time.
When Michael got the ball, you would have gained the speed and reflexes to just knock the ball out of his hand whenever he tries to dribble. Your jumping would have improved, so you'd have a 6 foot or so verticle, so if he tries to shoot, you could block it with ease. You could recognize any subtle fakes he'd try to use, so he'd never cross you up. You'd be a master at being as aggressive as you could possibly be, while staying within the rules.

A thousand years? Honestly, who could argue against it? I'd say 40 years of training would make him the best player in the world. But a thousand would create a near perfect player.

When Jordan finds out that he's been beaten in the future by a near immortal player he's going to be pissed. He hates to lose, and that includes impossible fantasy losses.

1. Who is better at basketball, Michael Jordan or my roommate?

Based on their respective skill levels and accomplishments, it is safe to say that Michael Jordan is the better basketball player.

2. Can my roommate beat Michael Jordan in a game of one-on-one?

It is highly unlikely that your roommate would be able to beat Michael Jordan in a game of one-on-one, as Jordan is widely considered one of the greatest basketball players of all time.

3. What is the age difference between Michael Jordan and my roommate?

As of 2021, Michael Jordan is 58 years old while your roommate's age may vary. Therefore, there could be a significant age difference between the two.

4. Has Michael Jordan ever played against your roommate in a basketball game?

It is unlikely that Michael Jordan has ever played against your roommate in a basketball game, as Jordan primarily played professionally in the NBA and your roommate may not have reached that level of competition.

5. Is it fair to compare my roommate to Michael Jordan?

While both individuals may play basketball, it is not fair to compare your roommate to Michael Jordan as Jordan's skill level and accomplishments are unparalleled in the sport.