Adding a mass on an oscillation causing a change in frequency

In summary, a conversation was had regarding a thin uniform rod of mass m that is suspended from one end and oscillates with a frequency f. It was then discussed whether attaching a small sphere of mass 2m to the other end would increase or decrease the frequency. While the amplitude may become bigger, this would not affect the frequency. The conversation then shifted to discussing pendulums and their equations, with a focus on the variables and how mass may or may not affect the frequency. It was concluded that the frequency would decrease when a mass is added to the pendulum.
kavipach

Homework Statement

A thin uniform rod of mass m is suspended from one end and oscillates with a frequency f.
If a small sphere of mass 2m is attached to the other end, does the frequency increase or decrease?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have reached a conclusion that the frequency would decrease but I am not sure exactly why. Is it because the amplitude would become bigger?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it's not because of the amplitude.

Is this talking about a pendulum? What do you know about pendulums? Any formulas?

i know that pendulums work due to the concervation of energy but i don't understand how this could be about a pendulum.

Unless the P.E becomes greater when mass and since P.E=K.E, K.E becomes greater. But i don't understand how this would change the frequency.

kavipach said:
Unless the P.E becomes greater when mass and since P.E=K.E, K.E becomes greater. But i don't understand how this would change the frequency.

What can you say about the period of a pendulum?

kavipach: What is the equation for frequency of a pendulum?

If you look closely, there are only two variables in that equation. Is mass one of them?

What is an oscillation?

An oscillation is a repetitive movement or fluctuation around a central point or equilibrium. It can be seen in various natural phenomena such as the movement of a pendulum or the vibration of a guitar string.

How does adding a mass affect the frequency of an oscillation?

Adding a mass to an oscillating system will cause a change in the frequency of the oscillation. This is because the added mass will affect the overall inertia of the system, causing it to oscillate at a slower or faster rate depending on the added mass.

What is the relationship between mass and frequency in an oscillation?

In an oscillating system, there is an inverse relationship between mass and frequency. This means that as mass increases, frequency decreases and vice versa. This can be seen in the equation for the period of an oscillation: T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass, and k is the spring constant.

Can the addition of a mass change the amplitude of an oscillation?

Yes, adding a mass to an oscillating system can also change the amplitude of the oscillation. The amplitude is the maximum displacement from the equilibrium point. Adding a mass can increase or decrease the amplitude depending on the characteristics of the added mass and the system.

What is the significance of studying the effects of added mass on an oscillation?

Studying the effects of added mass on an oscillation is important in many scientific fields such as physics, engineering, and biology. It can help us understand the behavior of various systems and how they are affected by external factors. This knowledge can be applied in real-world scenarios to improve designs and optimize performance.