Solving Percentile Question: Find Canoe Carrying Capacity

• Thread starter needhelp83
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Percentile
In summary, the weight of people on a certain pacific island is normally distributed with a mean of 175 lb and a standard deviation of 33 lb. To design a one person canoe that can serve 85% of the island's population, the carrying capacity should be 209.32 lb. This can be found by using the given population mean and standard deviation, along with the corresponding z score.
needhelp83
I am not exactly sure what I am supposed to do to solve this problem:

The weight of people in a certain pacific island is normally distributed with a mean of 175 lb and a standard deviation of 33 lb. They want to design a one person canoe that will be able to serve 85% of the island's people. What should be the carrying capacity of the canoe?

Ok I know I wouldn't use a CI to solve this problem, but I am not sure what the exact setup would be. I have a hunch that I would use the percentiles where the Z critical value would be 1.04 using Z 15.

Where do I go from there?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the percent given to find the corresponding z score. You have population mean & standard deviation, as well as the z score, so you can solve for the unknown

Ok...

[tex]z= \frac{(x-\mu)}{\sigma}[/tex]

[tex]1.04= \frac{(x- 175)}{33}[/tex]

x = 209.32

This doesn't sound right to me at all with the s.d. and mean?

It looks right to me because if you were to go only one standard deviation up (z = 1), the x score would be 175 (M) + 33 (1 standard dev) = 208. At the 85th percentile, your z score (1.04) is just a little bit higher than that.

What is a percentile?

A percentile is a measure used in statistics to represent a specific point in a distribution of data. It indicates the percentage of values that are equal to or below a given value. For example, if a student scores in the 80th percentile on a test, it means that 80% of the students scored equal to or below that score.

What is canoe carrying capacity?

Canoe carrying capacity is the maximum weight that a canoe can safely hold while floating in water. It is important to know the carrying capacity of a canoe to avoid overloading it, which can lead to accidents or damage to the canoe.

How do you calculate canoe carrying capacity based on percentile?

To calculate canoe carrying capacity based on percentile, you will need to know the average weight of the canoers and the percentile score. Multiply the average weight by the percentile score and divide the result by 100. The resulting number is the recommended maximum weight for the canoe. For example, if the average weight of the canoers is 150 lbs and the percentile score is 80, the recommended maximum weight would be 120 lbs (150 x 80/100 = 120).

What factors can affect canoe carrying capacity?

The factors that can affect canoe carrying capacity include the design and size of the canoe, the weight and distribution of the load, the type of water (e.g. calm vs. rough), and the skill level of the canoers. It is important to consider all of these factors when determining the carrying capacity of a canoe.

Why is it important to know the carrying capacity of a canoe?

Knowing the carrying capacity of a canoe is important for the safety and enjoyment of all involved. Overloading a canoe can cause it to capsize or become unstable, which can lead to accidents and injuries. It is also important to respect the carrying capacity for the well-being of the canoe and to avoid any damage to it.