How can I succeed in AP Physics C?

In summary, the student is having difficulty with vectors and is unsure of the concept. They are looking for help and advice from others.
elpermic
we are only doing mechanics the whole year, and my teacher sucks. He doesn't teach us, I have the book University Physics 9th Edition. The book is literally horrible. we started class a week ago and I'm trying so hard with no results. We are on vectors which I find very complicated. How can I understand it better? I'll look at the problem then have no idea what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have used University Physics book (latest edition is 12th btw) and i find it decent enough. It has several worked out problems, you should definitely try those. Furthermore, there are like 100 or so end of chapter problems, take a look at them. If you can find an "Instructors Solution" use it throughout...it has solution to all those problems (i used ebook version). If doubt of concept, read the book thoroughly.

Then there are external resources you can look into. MIT online lectures are excellent. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmJV8CHIqFc&feature=PlayList&p=F688ECB2FF119649&index=0 You can also use this forum to ask Physics related problem you have.

If you can't get through chapter one (vector), you are in whole lot of trouble. You'll be using vectors throughout the course and even latter in higher courses. Think of that and study till you get it right!

elpermic said:
we are only doing mechanics the whole year, and my teacher sucks. He doesn't teach us, I have the book University Physics 9th Edition. The book is literally horrible. we started class a week ago and I'm trying so hard with no results. We are on vectors which I find very complicated. How can I understand it better? I'll look at the problem then have no idea what to do.

What exactly about vectors are you unsure about? Maybe we can help you better if you describe specifically what your problem is.

And I don't think University Physics is a bad book at all.

What can I say.. EVERYTHING! My teacher will try to teach us the material and nobody will understand it. Horrible teacher who can't teach. It's like I'm trying to self study Physics by myself. I have tried it myself and I do get the method of components but it's still kind of confusing. especially when my answer is 0.2 units off of the real answer

1. How much prior knowledge is needed for AP Physics C?

Prior knowledge in basic math and physics is essential for success in AP Physics C. Students should have a strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and calculus as well as a good understanding of basic physics concepts such as motion, forces, and energy.

2. How can I prepare for the AP Physics C exam?

To prepare for the AP Physics C exam, students should review key concepts, formulas, and problem-solving techniques. They should also practice solving multiple-choice and free-response questions from past exams, and consider joining a study group or seeking help from a tutor.

3. Is it necessary to take both Mechanics and Electricity & Magnetism in AP Physics C?

While it is not required, it is highly recommended to take both Mechanics and Electricity & Magnetism in AP Physics C. These two subjects are closely related and cover important foundational concepts for further studies in physics and engineering.

4. What are the most challenging topics in AP Physics C?

The most challenging topics in AP Physics C vary for each student, but some commonly difficult ones include rotational motion, gravitation, and electromagnetic induction. It is important to identify your own weaknesses and practice these topics more to improve your understanding and skills.

5. How can I approach free-response questions in the AP Physics C exam?

To approach free-response questions in the AP Physics C exam, it is important to carefully read and understand the question, identify the given and unknown variables, and choose the appropriate equations and formulas to solve the problem. It is also helpful to show all your work and clearly explain your reasoning for full credit.