Beginner-intermediate books on quantum physics

In summary, there are several popular beginner-intermediate books on quantum physics such as "Quantum Physics for Dummies," "A Brief History of Time," and "The Elegant Universe." These books are written in an accessible manner and do not require a strong background in physics or mathematics. They can be used for self-study, but having some prior knowledge may be beneficial. Many of these books also include visual aids to aid understanding and cover topics such as quantum mechanics, entanglement, superposition, and the uncertainty principle. Some may also touch on the history and applications of quantum physics.
s4syth
Could anyone please recommend some beginner-intermediate books on quantum physics for me? I don't want a lot of math, but I would like to learn the basic equations of different phenomena. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nature Loves to Hide: A Western Perspective. I personally think it's one of the best books for beginners. Can't think of the author off the top of my head.

Paden Roder

Sure, here are a few recommendations for beginner-intermediate books on quantum physics:

1. "Quantum Physics for Beginners" by Jim Al-Khalili - This book provides a clear and easy-to-understand introduction to quantum physics, covering topics such as wave-particle duality, the uncertainty principle, and quantum entanglement. It also includes some basic equations and explains their significance.

2. "Introducing Quantum Theory: A Graphic Guide" by J.P. McEvoy and Oscar Zarate - If you prefer a more visual approach, this book uses illustrations and diagrams to explain the key concepts of quantum physics. It also covers the history of quantum theory and its applications.

3. "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman - This book is a bit more advanced, but still accessible for beginners. It covers the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and includes some basic equations, but also delves into more complex topics such as quantum field theory.

4. "The Quantum World: Quantum Physics for Everyone" by Kenneth W. Ford - This book is written for a general audience and does not assume any prior knowledge of physics. It covers the basics of quantum mechanics, including the Schrödinger equation and the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

I hope these recommendations are helpful and provide a good starting point for your exploration of quantum physics. Happy reading!

1. What are the best beginner-intermediate books on quantum physics?

Some popular books for beginners in quantum physics include "Quantum Physics for Dummies" by Steven Holzner, "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, and "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene.

2. Do I need a strong background in physics to understand beginner-intermediate books on quantum physics?

While a basic understanding of physics and mathematics can be helpful, many beginner-intermediate books on quantum physics are written in a way that is accessible to readers with no prior knowledge. These books often use analogies and simple language to explain complex concepts.

3. Can beginner-intermediate books on quantum physics be used for self-study?

Yes, many beginner-intermediate books on quantum physics are designed for self-study and do not require a formal course or instructor. However, it may be beneficial to have some knowledge of mathematics and physics to fully understand the concepts presented.

4. Are there any visual aids or illustrations in beginner-intermediate books on quantum physics?

Many beginner-intermediate books on quantum physics include diagrams, illustrations, and other visual aids to help readers understand the concepts being presented. These can be especially helpful for visual learners.

5. What are some common topics covered in beginner-intermediate books on quantum physics?

Some common topics covered in beginner-intermediate books on quantum physics include the basics of quantum mechanics, quantum entanglement, superposition, and the uncertainty principle. Some books may also touch on the history and development of quantum physics and its applications in modern technology.