Object w/ Constant Speed Doesn't Lose KE Faced w/ Resistance

In summary, when air travels at a constant flow rate, the total energy of the fluid decreases due to friction converting some energy into heat. This results in a decrease in potential energy, specifically a decrease in hydrostatic pressure. However, as the airway narrows, the fluid velocity increases, causing an increase in kinetic energy at the expense of potential energy, which is known as the Bernoulli effect. This is due to the constant volume of fluid entering and exiting the airway, causing the fluid to move faster in a narrower space.
sameeralord
Hello,

"Potential Energy (PE) + Kinetic Energy (KE) = Total Energy

When air travels through an airway at a CONSTANT FLOW RATE, the total energy of the fluid (PE + KE) decreases because friction converts some of this energy into heat. Since the fluid is moving at a constant flow rate, the loss is in potential energy (decrease in hydrostatic pressure)."

I don't understand this. Shouldn't the moving object lose K.E. Shouldn't resistance decrease speed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello sameeralord! :smile:
sameeralord said:
… Shouldn't the moving object lose K.E. Shouldn't resistance decrease speed.

Nope …

conservation of mass! :wink:

Thanks for the help but I still don't get it. I think the reason for that is I don't understand what is hydrostatic pressure, I researched but I don't get it.

"As we move down the airway, the tubes begin to narrow. When a tube narrows, fluid velocity increases causing an increase in KE at the expense of PE (ie. a compensatory decrease in hydrostatic pressure). This is referred to as the BERNOULLI EFFECT."

How does the fluid velocity increase when the resistance also increases when the tube narrows. Is the pressure inside this tube, exerted by moving molecules (KE) or hydrostatic pressure. I don't get it.

Hi sameeralord! :wink:

Forget pressure …

most fluids are incompressible, meaning that their density is constant.

So the amount of fluid going into a particular volume equals the amount going out …

if the exit is narrower than the entrance, then the fluid must be going faster!

That's all it is! :smile:

1. What is the definition of an object with constant speed?

An object with constant speed is one that is moving at a consistent rate without changing its velocity. This means that it is maintaining the same speed and direction over time.

2. What is resistance in relation to an object's speed?

Resistance is the force that opposes the motion of an object. It can come from factors such as friction, air resistance, or other external forces. Resistance can cause an object to slow down or change direction.

3. How does an object with constant speed maintain its kinetic energy when faced with resistance?

An object with constant speed maintains its kinetic energy because the force of resistance does not affect its speed. Although the object may experience a decrease in speed due to resistance, the amount of kinetic energy it has remains constant due to the object's mass and velocity remaining unchanged.

4. What factors can affect the amount of resistance an object faces?

The amount of resistance an object faces can be affected by several factors, including the object's shape, size, mass, and the surface it is moving on. The type of fluid or medium the object is moving through can also impact the amount of resistance it experiences.

5. Can an object with constant speed eventually come to a stop when faced with resistance?

Yes, an object with constant speed can eventually come to a stop when faced with enough resistance. This is because the force of resistance acting on the object will eventually be greater than the force propelling the object forward, causing it to slow down and eventually stop.