Angular momentum and Expectation values

In summary, the conversation is about expressing Lx in terms of the commutator of Ly and Lz and using this result to prove that the expectation value of Lx is equal to 0 for a given particle. The attempt at a solution involves taking the commutator [Ly,Lz] and applying it to the expectation value of Lx, which results in the use of ladder operators. However, the question asks for the use of [Ly,Lz]=i(hbar)Lx to prove the expectation value of Lx is 0. To do this, one must expand the commutator and take the hermitian conjugate, which will lead to an equation that shows that the expectation value of Lx is indeed
Ben4000

Homework Statement

Express Lx in terms of the commutator of Ly and Lz and, using this result, show that <Lx>=0 for this particle.

The Attempt at a Solution

[Ly,Lz]=i(hbar)Lx

<Lx>=< l,m l Lx l l,m>

then what?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can show that <Lx>=0 using the ladder opertators, but i don't think this is what is wanted from this question... how do i use
[Ly,Lz]=i(hbar)Lx to prove <Lx> = 0?

[tex]\langle L_x\rangle=\langle l,m|L_x|l,m\rangle=\frac{-i}{\hbar}\langle l,m|[L_y,L_z]|l,m\rangle[/tex]

Expand the commutator using its definition, and take the hermitian conjugate of the resulting equation...what do you see?

What is Angular Momentum?

Angular momentum is a measurement of the rotational motion of an object. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

How is Angular Momentum related to Expectation Values?

In quantum mechanics, angular momentum is a fundamental property of a particle. The expectation value of angular momentum is a way to calculate the average value of a particle's angular momentum in a given state. This value can provide insight into the behavior and properties of the particle.

What is the Uncertainty Principle for Angular Momentum and Expectation Values?

The Uncertainty Principle states that the more precisely we know the angular momentum of a particle, the less precisely we can know its position. Similarly, the more precisely we know the expectation value of angular momentum, the less precisely we can know its associated measurement.

What are the Units of Angular Momentum and Expectation Values?

The units of angular momentum are typically expressed as kg·m²/s. Expectation values do not have physical units, as they are simply a mathematical calculation of the average value of a physical quantity.

What is the Physical Significance of Expectation Values in Angular Momentum?

Expectation values provide insight into the behavior and properties of particles at the quantum level. They can help predict the outcomes of measurements and provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of nature.