Few questions about homemade IrDA module

In summary, the conversation is about building an IR transceiver and rearranging the circuit for better physical placement of components. The question of polarity for semiconductor devices such as LEDs and photodiodes is also addressed. The response explains that the physical layout on the board may differ from the schematic, and that there is a correct polarity for these components.
Gorstak
First of all, I'm not an electrician, I'm a medical student who occasionally grab a soldering iron for some fun. So if I'm asking something really stupid, I'm sorry.
I found scheme forIR transciever on http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/86/2 and I'm plannig to build it. I was wondering is it ok to rearrange circuit (attached picture, left side) in order to bring photodiode and LED physically close and to reduce wiring, and is there a "wrong and right" way to connect photodiode and LED (I mean does polarity matters and how can I distiguish anode from cathode)
Thanks everyone

Attachments

• irda.jpg
    irda.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 388
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF Gorstak.

Electronic schematics show the electrical connections between components in a easy to read format, not the physical locations of the components relative to each other on the board.

Yes, there is a polarity for semiconductor devices such a LEDs and photo diodes. See the flat area next to the cathode terminal of this LED.
200px-LED%2C_5mm%2C_green_%28en%29.svg.png

LEDs are also supplied with the anode (+) lead longer than the cathode (-) lead.

1. What is an IrDA module and why is it used in homemade devices?

An IrDA module is a type of infrared communication device used to transmit data between electronic devices. It is commonly used in homemade devices because it is inexpensive and easy to implement.

2. How does an IrDA module work?

An IrDA module uses infrared light to transmit data between devices. The module emits a beam of infrared light, which is received by another IrDA module on the receiving device. The data is then translated into binary code and transmitted to the receiving device.

3. Can I build my own IrDA module at home?

Yes, it is possible to build your own IrDA module at home. However, it requires some technical knowledge and the right components. There are many tutorials available online that can guide you through the process.

4. What materials are needed to build a homemade IrDA module?

The materials needed to build a homemade IrDA module include an infrared LED, an infrared receiver, a resistor, a breadboard, and connecting wires. You will also need a microcontroller or Arduino board to control the module.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using a homemade IrDA module?

As with any electronic device, there are potential safety concerns when using a homemade IrDA module. It is important to follow proper circuit design and wiring techniques to avoid any short circuits or electrical hazards. Additionally, always use caution when working with electronic components and make sure to use appropriate safety gear.

Back