Magnetic fields and relativity

In summary, i have several questions which relate to a project i will be starting soon. We all know the right hand rule and others, but does it apply to 2 particles interacting with each other? for example if 2 protons are moving towards each other. If they were 0.000,000,001m away from each other, and traveling at half the speed of light relative to each other, how much of the force pushing them apart would be from the magnetism at their closest point? (travelling perpendicular to each other) also i need the relevant equations to answering this question so that next time i have a similar question, i can solve it myself.
Jedimasta
i have several questions which relate to a project i will be starting soon
we all know the right hand rule and others, but does it apply to 2 particles interacting with each other? for example if 2 protons are moving towards each other

-------+>
<+---------

like that ^

will relativity affect them, causing the magnetic fields to make them repel each other more strongly than they would if they were stationary next to each other?

if they were 0.000,000,001m away from each other, and traveling at half the speed of light relative to each other, how much of the force pushing them apart would be from the magnetism at their closest point? (travelling perpendicular to each other)

also i need the relevant equations to answering this question so that next time i have a similar question, i can solve it myself
EDIT: does magnetic field strength generated by a single particle increase in strength linearly or exponentially? (if a proton doubles its velocity, does its magnetic field strength double? or quadruple?)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This may helpful: http://www.lightandmatter.com/html_books/7cp/ch06/ch06.html (section 6.2). See especially figure m.

Last edited by a moderator:
for example if 2 protons are moving towards each other
will relativity affect them, causing the magnetic fields to make them repel each other more strongly than they would if they were stationary next to each other?

yes relativity will affect attraction/repulsion: Columbs law strictly holds only for static (stationary) point charges. I have never seen the adaptation to a relativistic formula...I would not even venture a guess, but I bet you it's interesting...

bcrowell said:
This may helpful: http://www.lightandmatter.com/html_books/7cp/ch06/ch06.html (section 6.2). See especially figure m.

i noticed in that article it says that if a proton and an electron were moving in the same direction, they would experience magnetic repulsion

if this were true, it would mean magnetism is NOT relativistic, since if it was, then those particles would experience no magnetic fields from each other, since relative to each other, they are stationary (while technically this effect would be observed if the same effect was tried with power cables *i will explain it if i have to, but its complicated, and a real pain in the *** to do*)

i need a 100% sure answer to my questions

also if someone could post the relevant equations to my second question it would be much appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
The relativistic expression for dp'/dt of a particle due to another particle is given by:
[tex]\frac{d{\bf p'}}{dt}=\frac{qq'[{\bf r}+{\bf v'\times(v\times r)}]}
{\gamma_v^2[{\bf r}^2-({\bf v\times r)^2}]^{\frac{3}{2}}}.[/tex]

But, this is only true for the first particle moving with constant velocity v.
If that particle accelerates, which is likely, then the equation becomes more complicated and requires use of the retarded time, making it almost intractable.

For two parallel or anti-parallel charged-particle beams, there are both Coulomb and magnetic forces. The forces are essentially the same for individual particles and for particle beams, but understanding the beam-beam interaction is a little easier than the particle-particle forces because of the transient effects with individual particles. The Coulomb force and the magnetic force are opposite for parallel beams, and cancel for very relativistic beams. See attachment. For anti-parallel charged-particle beams, the Coulomb and magnetic forces are additive.The same equations in the attachment can be used, but the sign of the force in equation [3] et. seq. should be changed. For currents in wires, there is no Coulomb force between the wires.

Bob S

Attachments

• Beam_beam_forces1A.jpg
    Beam_beam_forces1A.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 335
  • Beam_beam_forces2A.jpg
    Beam_beam_forces2A.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 311
ok thanks for the help guys, much appreciated

1. What is a magnetic field and how does it relate to relativity?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges and can interact with other electrically charged particles. According to relativity, magnetic fields are related to electric fields and are a result of the movement of charged particles due to the effects of special relativity.

2. How does relativity impact the behavior of magnetic fields?

Relativity plays a significant role in the behavior of magnetic fields. According to special relativity, the strength of a magnetic field is determined by the relative velocity between the observer and the charged particles. Additionally, the magnetic field can change the perception of time and space for the observer, as described by the theory of general relativity.

3. Can magnetic fields affect the passage of time?

Yes, according to the theory of general relativity, strong magnetic fields can affect the passage of time. This is known as time dilation, where time appears to pass slower for an observer in a strong magnetic field compared to an observer in a weaker magnetic field or no magnetic field at all.

4. How do magnetic fields impact the curvature of space-time?

Magnetic fields do not directly impact the curvature of space-time, as they are not a source of gravity. However, they can indirectly affect the curvature by influencing the movement of charged particles, which can create gravitational effects as described by general relativity.

5. Can magnetic fields be used to test the principles of relativity?

Yes, magnetic fields can be used to test the principles of special and general relativity. For example, the measurement of the strength of a magnetic field can confirm the predictions of special relativity. Additionally, the effects of magnetic fields on the behavior of particles can be observed to test the principles of general relativity.