Magnetism - Circular Loop in a Perpendicular Magnetic Field

In summary, a circular loop carrying a current I placed in a constant magnetic field that is perpendicular to the plane of the loop experiences no net force from the magnetic field. This is due to the cancellation of forces from applying the right hand rule at multiple points on the loop.
ll1111

Homework Statement

A circular loop carries a current I. It is placed in a constant magnetic field in such a way that the field lines are perpendicular to the plane of the circle. What is the force on the loop? Does the magnetic field have any effect on the loop described?

Homework Equations

F=qv x B
magnitudeF=qvsin(theta)
F=IL x B

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume the answer should be something simple, like zero, since we are not given any information about the magnitude of B.
I'm not sure how to apply a cross product formula, since I is not in a single direction but rather in a loop. If I think about applying the cross product (with the right hand rule) at every point along the loop, I am thinking that maybe all the forces cancel out so that there is no net force, but I am not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
ll1111 said:
I'm not sure how to apply a cross product formula, since I is not in a single direction but rather in a loop. If I think about applying the cross product (with the right hand rule) at every point along the loop, I am thinking that maybe all the forces cancel out so that there is no net force, but I am not sure.

Try that.

"Any effect" is a pretty broad question.

It is a fundamental idea that a closed loop of wire experiences no net force from a B-field...yes, you're right, they do cancel. Don't worry about the cross product formula just do some RH Rule observations for a few points on the circle using the direction of the current at that point for your velocity vector. You'll quickly realize how they cancel w/o any math needed ; )

1. What is a circular loop in a perpendicular magnetic field?

A circular loop in a perpendicular magnetic field refers to a closed loop of wire or other conductive material that is placed in a magnetic field that is perpendicular to the plane of the loop. This means that the magnetic field lines are running parallel to the surface of the loop, and not intersecting it at any angle.

2. How does a circular loop in a perpendicular magnetic field behave?

A circular loop in a perpendicular magnetic field will experience a force known as the Lorentz force. This force is perpendicular to both the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of the current flowing through the loop. It causes the loop to rotate around its axis, with the direction of rotation determined by the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field.

3. What is the purpose of a circular loop in a perpendicular magnetic field?

A circular loop in a perpendicular magnetic field is often used in experiments and demonstrations to illustrate the principles of magnetism and electromagnetism. It can also be used in devices such as electric motors and generators, where the rotation of the loop is harnessed to produce mechanical work or generate electricity.

4. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect a circular loop?

The strength of the magnetic field has a direct impact on the behavior of a circular loop. A stronger magnetic field will result in a greater Lorentz force and therefore a faster rotation of the loop. Conversely, a weaker magnetic field will result in a slower rotation. The strength of the magnetic field is typically measured in units of Tesla (T).

5. Can a circular loop in a perpendicular magnetic field have multiple loops?

Yes, a circular loop in a perpendicular magnetic field can have multiple loops, also known as turns. In this case, the total force on the loop will be the sum of the forces on each individual loop. This can be useful in increasing the overall strength of the force on the loop, as well as in creating more complex electromagnetic devices.