Help with My complex functions

In summary, the conversation is about finding the real and imaginary parts of a complex function given an equation. The speaker is seeking help and the conversation includes a discussion of the function's formula and suggestions on how to approach the problem.
json078
Help with My complex functions :(

Homework Statement

I have to find a real part and Imaginary part of complex functions
but I kinda stuck on this question :(

Homework Equations

f(t)=e(-1+2i)(2-i ; 3+4i)

from this equation I have to find real part and imaginary part :(
I need ur help guyz asap
!:) cheers

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

json078 said:

Homework Statement

I have to find a real part and Imaginary part of complex functions
but I kinda stuck on this question :(

Homework Equations

f(t)=e(-1+2i)(2-i ; 3+4i)

from this equation I have to find real part and imaginary part :(
I need ur help guyz asap
!:) cheers

The Attempt at a Solution

There seems to be something missing in your function. The expression on the right side doesn't have t in it. Is this the formula for your function?
f(t) = e(-1 + 2i)t(2 - i; 3 + 4i)

true that
the original function is
f(t) = e(-1+2i)t[2-i ; 3+4i]

What you have written makes no sense. What is that "e" doing in your formula? Do you really mean it to just be multiplied or do you intend e^{(-1+ 2i)t}? And what is "[2-i ; 3+4i]" is this a "vector valued" function? And, if so, do you want the real and imaginary parts of each component?

Your vector-valued function can be written this way:
f(t) = <(2 - i) e(-1 + 2i)t , (3 + 4i)e(-1 + 2i)t>

Then split up the exponentail parts using the fact that e(a + b)t = eatebt. Use the fact that eix = cosx + isinx. These should get you started.

Mark44 said:
Your vector-valued function can be written this way:
f(t) = <(2 - i) e(-1 + 2i)t , (3 + 4i)e(-1 + 2i)t>

Then split up the exponentail parts using the fact that e(a + b)t = eatebt. Use the fact that eix = cosx + isinx. These should get you started.

Just moved the "e"s outside of the superscript for you.

Thanks. I hadn't noticed they were superscripts also.

What are complex functions?

Complex functions are mathematical functions that involve complex numbers, which are numbers with both real and imaginary parts. These functions can be expressed as equations and can have multiple variables.

What makes complex functions different from real functions?

Complex functions differ from real functions in that they involve complex numbers, whereas real functions only involve real numbers. Complex functions also have both real and imaginary parts, whereas real functions only have real parts.

How do I simplify complex functions?

To simplify a complex function, you can use algebraic techniques such as factoring, expanding, and combining like terms. You can also use trigonometric identities and properties of complex numbers to simplify the function.

What are the applications of complex functions?

Complex functions have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to model systems with both real and imaginary components, such as electrical circuits and fluid dynamics. They are also used in signal processing and control systems.

What resources can I use to learn more about complex functions?

You can use textbooks, online tutorials, and videos to learn more about complex functions. You can also consult with a mathematics professor or tutor for further assistance and practice problems.