Gulf Oil Spill Velocimetry-Based Flow Rate Estimate

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of accurately measuring the rate of the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. The primary topic of skepticism is the quality of the video footage being used for analysis. The conversation also references patents and a company specializing in particle image velocimetry, a method used for measuring motion within a fluid body. There are concerns about whether this method can be accurately applied to the oil spill, as it requires specific conditions that may not be present in the footage available. There are also questions about the accuracy of surface estimates and the use of dispersants at such depths.
mheslep said:
There are known obstructions inside the pipe, namely some kind of other smaller diameter pipe that ended up there as part of the accident or attempted remedy. Anyway, there's no reason to bother with Wereley any more as the USGS groups released figures (12k to 25k bbl/day) based on several methods (sea floor video, surface inspection, etc) and they're all in rough agreement.

Yes, there is a 5-in drill pipe inside of the stack and riser.

I never really bothered with Wereley anyway and I certainly don't believe the other estimates from any other groups...yet.

CS

Engineering news on Phys.org
stewartcs said:
[...] I certainly don't believe the other estimates from any other groups...yet.

CS
I listened to the breakdown of the methods as described by the USGS chief - they hit all the logical steps, and their estimates don't exceed the daily rate of other working rigs, a good sanity check.

mheslep said:
I listened to the breakdown of the methods as described by the USGS chief - they hit all the logical steps, and their estimates don't exceed the daily rate of other working rigs, a good sanity check.

I've not heard any of the specifics regarding their estimates yet but I look forward to hearing them.

I wouldn't expect their estimates to exceed a producing well. Producing wells can flow up to 200,000 barrels per day IIRC depending on the formation/reservoir.

CS

stewartcs said:
I've not heard any of the specifics regarding their estimates yet but I look forward to hearing them.

I wouldn't expect their estimates to exceed a producing well. Producing wells can flow up to 200,000 barrels per day IIRC depending on the formation/reservoir.

CS
The limit on deep water wells in that that area is about 30,000 bbl/d according petroleum engineers interviewed.

Last edited:
stewartcs said:
USGS Director Dr. Marcia McNutt today. They used three approaches: surface satellite observation (12k - 19k), sea floor plume observation (12k-25k), and RITT observation (11k).
http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/95030444.html

mheslep said:
The limit on deep water wells in that that area is about 30,000 bbl/d according petroleum engineers interviewed.

I'm not sure what they are currently pumping but most of the big platforms can pump 200,000 to 250,000 BPD.

Do you have a reference for the 30,000 BPD by chance?

CS

stewartcs said:
I'm not sure what they are currently pumping but most of the big platforms can pump 200,000 to 250,000 BPD.
Yes, but I believe those figures represent multiple wells under the same platform as at BP's 250k bbl/day http://www.offshore-technology.com/projects/crazy_horse/" [Broken] platform in the Gulf:
Offshore Technology said:
The development consists of 25 wet-tree subsea wells tied into a floating platform.
[...]
The facility is designed to process 250,000b/d of oil and 200mmcf/d of gas per day.

stewartcs said:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/deepwaterhorizon/7011584.html
Houston Chronicle said:
More than half a dozen industry professionals who test wells flow and study oil formations were skeptical in interviews about estimates as high as 80,000 barrels a day, given the production rates of nearby deep water wells that yield 15,000 to 30,000 barrels a day.

“We work hard to maximize flow rates in deep-water wells and I don't know any well in the Gulf of Mexico that made that kind of rate,” said Stuart Filler, president of the Society of Petroleum Evaluation Engineers

Last edited by a moderator:
I see that you there is great criticism of Steve Wereley's estimates but two other scientists also gave estimates of 20,000 - 100,000 BPD.

Yet, there has been no criticism of the USGS calculations.

Being a layman I have many criticisms of my own and would like to get input on the from the real scientists...
[link deleted]

I don't know what to make of any of the estimates. When S.W. made his initial estimate, at the time, all he had to go by was a short video clip showing only one out of several leaks. He made it clear in one interview that this was not an estimate of how much oil is leaking into the gulf, just an estimate, of how much material was flowing out of this particular leak, during the time of that 25 second video clip. Of coarse, I didn't hear him address the aspect of composition. That particular video clip, to me, looked like it was leaking more natural gas then any of the footage I've seen since. With a constant change in composition, I think it would be hard to estimate the flow based on 25 seconds. My thought is that BP must have released a clip showing a natural gas pocket discharging. At the time and prior to releasing the footage, they were reporting that because this well is leaking natural gas as well, it is leaking less oil. So I imagine they probably released a clip trying to give credence to that statement.

Other estimates since, I have not seen any of the details of their specific methods. Are they taking into account the massive amounts of dispersants being applied directly on the leak a mile below?

Last edited:
stewartcs said:

CS

On C-span it was revealed that the worst case leak for this well, was estimated at 250,000 barrels per day. This was prior to the accident. This was the number written into the documentation required for BP to get the permit. The significance of this number, is that it is the intensity of the leak possible, and BP was required to have the capability to hand this in a worst case scenario.

jreelawg said:
On C-span it was revealed that the worst case leak for this well, was estimated at 250,000 barrels per day. This was prior to the accident. This was the number written into the documentation required for BP to get the permit. The significance of this number, is that it is the intensity of the leak possible, and BP was required to have the capability to hand this in a worst case scenario.
Typically, when designing for such a contingency, the criteria is far beyond the worst case that can be imagined. Ie, the parts of a bridge might use a safety factor of 250%.

Why was the link to my criticisms deleted?

alexhiggins said:
Why was the link to my criticisms deleted?

I don't know, but the guidelines (which you agreed to upon joining PF) apply in an Engineering forum:
Overly Speculative Posts:
One of the main goals of PF is to help students learn the current status of physics as practiced by the scientific community; accordingly, Physicsforums.com strives to maintain high standards of academic integrity. There are many open questions in physics, and we welcome discussion on those subjects provided the discussion remains intellectually sound. It is against our Posting Guidelines to discuss, in most of the PF forums or in blogs, new or non-mainstream theories or ideas that have not been published in professional peer-reviewed journals or are not part of current professional mainstream scientific discussion. Personal theories/Independent Research may be submitted to our Independent Research Forum, provided they meet our Independent Research Guidelines; Personal theories posted elsewhere will be deleted. Poorly formulated personal theories, unfounded challenges of mainstream science, and overt crackpottery will not be tolerated anywhere on the site. Linking to obviously "crank" or "crackpot" sites is prohibited
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374

jreelawg said:
I doubt a number that high could have been used by knowledgeable engineers or scientists. Would you have a print source for any of this?

mheslep said:
I doubt a number that high could have been used by knowledgeable engineers or scientists. Would you have a print source for any of this?

"Such a blowout could have spewed 250,000 barrels a day, according to the 582-page plan."

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-05-31/bp-ready-for-spill-10-times-gulf-disaster-plan-says-update1-.html [Broken]

jreelawg said:
"Such a blowout could have spewed 250,000 barrels a day, according to the 582-page plan."

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-05-31/bp-ready-for-spill-10-times-gulf-disaster-plan-says-update1-.html [Broken]
Thank you. Interesting, I'd like to see the permit BW refers to. Google's not turning it up.

jreelawg said:

Buiness Week is hardly a reputable source. I believe they have taken that number out of context. Perhaps it was referring to the maximum production capability of a platform in that block of water.

CS

stewartcs said:
Buiness Week is hardly a reputable source. I believe they have taken that number out of context. Perhaps it was referring to the maximum production capability of a platform in that block of water.

CS
That makes sense - if an entire multi-well mega platform suffered an uncontrollable fire then in a theoretical worst case the total platform output could be spilled, and I could see a permit application having to address that scenario. Stating that a single well could release at that rate (250k bbl/day), from this geography, does not make sense.

mheslep said:
That makes sense - if an entire multi-well mega platform suffered an uncontrollable fire then in a theoretical worst case the total platform output could be spilled, and I could see a permit application having to address that scenario. Stating that a single well could release at that rate (250k bbl/day), from this geography, does not make sense.

I googled "multi-well mega platform" and got no results.

<h2>1. What is Gulf Oil Spill Velocimetry-Based Flow Rate Estimate?</h2><p>Gulf Oil Spill Velocimetry-Based Flow Rate Estimate is a scientific method used to estimate the amount of oil flowing from a well during an oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. It involves using underwater video footage and advanced computer algorithms to measure the velocity of the oil as it flows out of the well.</p><h2>2. How accurate is the Gulf Oil Spill Velocimetry-Based Flow Rate Estimate?</h2><p>The accuracy of the Gulf Oil Spill Velocimetry-Based Flow Rate Estimate depends on several factors, including the quality of the video footage, the precision of the computer algorithms, and the conditions at the spill site. However, studies have shown that this method can provide estimates with an accuracy of within 20% of the actual flow rate.</p><h2>3. Why is Gulf Oil Spill Velocimetry-Based Flow Rate Estimate important?</h2><p>Gulf Oil Spill Velocimetry-Based Flow Rate Estimate is important because it provides crucial information for response efforts during an oil spill. Knowing the flow rate allows for better planning and decision-making, as well as monitoring the effectiveness of containment and cleanup efforts.</p><h2>4. How does Gulf Oil Spill Velocimetry-Based Flow Rate Estimate differ from other methods?</h2><p>Gulf Oil Spill Velocimetry-Based Flow Rate Estimate is different from other methods, such as satellite imagery and in-situ measurements, because it does not rely on surface observations. Instead, it uses underwater video footage to directly measure the velocity of the oil flow, providing a more accurate estimate of the flow rate.</p><h2>5. Can Gulf Oil Spill Velocimetry-Based Flow Rate Estimate be used for all oil spills?</h2><p>No, Gulf Oil Spill Velocimetry-Based Flow Rate Estimate is specifically designed for oil spills in the Gulf of Mexico. The method takes into account the unique conditions of the Gulf, such as the depth and temperature of the water, and may not be applicable to other oil spill scenarios.</p>

1. What is Gulf Oil Spill Velocimetry-Based Flow Rate Estimate?

Gulf Oil Spill Velocimetry-Based Flow Rate Estimate is a scientific method used to estimate the amount of oil flowing from a well during an oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. It involves using underwater video footage and advanced computer algorithms to measure the velocity of the oil as it flows out of the well.

2. How accurate is the Gulf Oil Spill Velocimetry-Based Flow Rate Estimate?

The accuracy of the Gulf Oil Spill Velocimetry-Based Flow Rate Estimate depends on several factors, including the quality of the video footage, the precision of the computer algorithms, and the conditions at the spill site. However, studies have shown that this method can provide estimates with an accuracy of within 20% of the actual flow rate.

3. Why is Gulf Oil Spill Velocimetry-Based Flow Rate Estimate important?

Gulf Oil Spill Velocimetry-Based Flow Rate Estimate is important because it provides crucial information for response efforts during an oil spill. Knowing the flow rate allows for better planning and decision-making, as well as monitoring the effectiveness of containment and cleanup efforts.

4. How does Gulf Oil Spill Velocimetry-Based Flow Rate Estimate differ from other methods?

Gulf Oil Spill Velocimetry-Based Flow Rate Estimate is different from other methods, such as satellite imagery and in-situ measurements, because it does not rely on surface observations. Instead, it uses underwater video footage to directly measure the velocity of the oil flow, providing a more accurate estimate of the flow rate.

5. Can Gulf Oil Spill Velocimetry-Based Flow Rate Estimate be used for all oil spills?

No, Gulf Oil Spill Velocimetry-Based Flow Rate Estimate is specifically designed for oil spills in the Gulf of Mexico. The method takes into account the unique conditions of the Gulf, such as the depth and temperature of the water, and may not be applicable to other oil spill scenarios.