Question on gravitational field

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the distance from the Earth at which a space capsule is subject to zero gravitational force due to the Earth and Moon's gravitational fields. Using the formula for gravitational fields, the distance is calculated to be 3.79 x 10^8 meters, but the correct answer is given as 3.46 x 10^8 meters.
gaobo9109

Homework Statement

Considering only the gravitational fields of the Earth and the Moon, find the distance from the Earth at which a space capsule traveling between the Earth and the Moon is subject to zero gravitational force.

Mass of the Earth = 5.98 x 1024kg
Mass of the Moon = 7.35 x 1022kg
Radius of Moon's orbit = 3.84 x 108m
Radius of the Earth = 6.38 x 106m
Radius of the Moon = 1.74 x 106m

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let x be the distance between the centre of Earth and the point of zero gravitational field

Gravitational field due to Earth = Gravational field due to Moon
GME/x2 = GMM/(R - x)2
(ME/MM)1/2=x/(R-x)
x = (ME/MM)1/2R/((ME/MM)1/2 +1)
= 3.79 x 108

But the answer provided is 3.46 x 108

Can anyone tell me where I went wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the symbolic result is correct you must have made an error during the actual calculation of the number.

1. What is a gravitational field?

A gravitational field is a region in space where an object with mass experiences a force due to the presence of another object with mass. It is created by the mass and energy of an object and extends outward in all directions.

2. How is the strength of a gravitational field measured?

The strength of a gravitational field is measured by its gravitational field strength, which is the force per unit mass exerted on a test object placed in the field. It is measured in newtons per kilogram (N/kg).

3. How does the mass and distance between objects affect the strength of a gravitational field?

The strength of a gravitational field is directly proportional to the mass of the objects involved. The larger the mass, the stronger the gravitational field. It is also inversely proportional to the distance between the objects. The farther apart the objects are, the weaker the gravitational field.

4. What is the difference between a gravitational field and a gravitational force?

A gravitational field is a region in space where a gravitational force is present. The gravitational force is the actual force that is exerted on an object due to the presence of a gravitational field. In other words, the field is what causes the force to exist.

5. Can a gravitational field be shielded or cancelled out?

No, a gravitational field cannot be shielded or cancelled out. It is a fundamental force of nature and is always present as long as there are objects with mass. However, the effects of a gravitational field can be cancelled out by equal and opposite forces, such as in the case of an object in free fall or an orbiting object.