Can a Simple Equation Unveil the Electron/Proton Mass Ratio?

• Thread starter meadbert
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Ratio
In summary, the conversation discusses a person's attempt to find a simple equation that could explain the electron/proton mass ratio. They wrote a program to test billions of equations, and while most were inaccurate, one surprisingly simple equation was close to the actual value. However, it is likely just a coincidence and considered numerology by physicists. The conversation also mentions a similar formula for the masses of leptons and the concept of numerology in science.
meadbert
So I read somewhere about some equation that might explain the Electron/Proton mass ratio, but it was off by several percentage points and the equation seemed complicated.
Unfortunately I forget where I originally read this.
Anyway, I was not particularly impressed, so I wrote a C program to try billions of relatively simple equations and look for ones whose solutions come closest to the Electron/Proton mass ratio.
Obviously many of the more complicated ones had the right answer within machine or measured accuracy, but some did "silly" operations that I could nto see in physics such as taking a sine of sine. One surprisingly simple equations came reasonably close. It is off by less than a tenth of percent so it is obviously wrong, none the less I found it interesting. Essentially the program was looking for a coincidence and that is probably all it found, but here is the equation:

Let x = electron/proton mass ratio

sqrt(x) ~= sqrt(PI/3) - 1

Could be written as:
sqrt(PI/3) = sqrt(1) + sqrt(x)

The equation is similar to that of a circle, but with square roots instead of squares.
PI/3 is obviously very common being the angle of equilateral triangles. Sqrt(PI) is important in probability and statistics regarding the Beta function.

Anyway, I am not a Physicist having taken just 2 physics courses in college, but figured I would throw what is probably just a coincidence out there to see if it meant anything to anyone else.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
As pointed out, it's numerology. It's also wrong - the difference between your formula and the true value is 100,000 larger than the uncertainty on the true value.

To be honest, I am surprised with billions of trials, you didn't do better.

I had a professor in college who told us that the true blue value of the fine structure was exactly 1/137 (based on numerology?), and the disparity on the measured value (~1/137.02) was experimental error. Six years later, he won the Nobel prize in experimental physics. I guess anyone can have dubious theories once in a while.

Bob S

Vanadium 50 said:
As pointed out, it's numerology. It's also wrong - the To be honest, I am surprised with billions of trials, you didn't do better.

There were plenty of equations that were within machine/measured accuracy, but they were far more complex and did silly operations. As you say the error of .08% is far more than the measured error so it is clearly not the correct equation.

Essentially I scored answers by their accuracy, their simplicity and whether the equations did things that make sense in terms of units. Square of Square Root and Square Roots of Squares make sense. Sin of arctan makes sense. Stuff like Sin of Cos or Ln of Ln make less sense.

This one equation was an outlier, in that every equation more accurate was either far more complicated or did more "silly" operations.

These is numerology and is likely nothing more than noting 22/7 is close to pie, but I figured I would throw it out there in case some physicist saw the equation and recognized it from some other theory.

1. What is the electron/proton mass ratio?

The electron/proton mass ratio is a physical constant that represents the ratio of the mass of an electron to the mass of a proton. It is denoted by the symbol me/mp and has a value of approximately 1/1836.

2. Why is the electron/proton mass ratio important?

The electron/proton mass ratio is important because it plays a crucial role in understanding the fundamental properties of atoms and molecules. It is also used in various calculations in nuclear physics, astrophysics, and quantum mechanics.

3. How is the electron/proton mass ratio determined?

The electron/proton mass ratio is determined by conducting experiments, such as mass spectrometry, where the masses of electrons and protons are measured and compared. It can also be calculated using theoretical models and equations, such as the Rydberg formula.

4. Does the electron/proton mass ratio ever change?

According to current theories and experimental evidence, the electron/proton mass ratio is a constant and does not change. However, some theories, such as the Grand Unified Theory, suggest that it may have changed in the early stages of the universe.

5. How does the electron/proton mass ratio affect the behavior of particles?

The electron/proton mass ratio affects the behavior of particles in various ways. For example, it determines the strength of the electromagnetic force, which is responsible for the interactions between charged particles. It also plays a role in determining the stability and energy levels of atoms and molecules.