Astrophysics - Special Relativity

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the motion, r(t), of a relativistic rocket with a proper acceleration that increases with proper time. Using the given equations and a TI-89, the attempt at a solution involves finding β and velocity 'v' in order to integrate and solve for r(t), but the speaker is currently stuck and unable to progress.
Sleeker

Homework Statement

2) If a relativistic rocket has a proper acceleration alpha that
increases with proper time tau according to:
alpha(tau) = 2/[Cosine(tau)^2 - Sine(tau)^2]
find its motion, r(t), from the point of view of a control tower
for whom the rocket is motionless at r(0) = 0.
(Hint: alpha(tau) here is the derivative with respect to tau of
ln[tan(tau + pi/4)] .)

Homework Equations

1. R=Rapidity
2. tanh(R)=β
3. d/dτ(R)=α

The Attempt at a Solution

Using formula #3 and the hint, I have R. Using formula #2 and my TI-89, I got:

(1-β)/2 = cos[t*(sqrt(1-β^2)+pi/4]^2

Using a couple of trig formulas, I have

β-1 = sin(2*t*sqrt(1-β^2))

I'm stuck there. As far as I know, there is no way to solve for β, and thus for the velocity 'v', which means I can't integrate to find r(t).

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using

[tex]\tanh x = \frac{e^x-e^{-x}}{e^x+e^{-x}}[/tex].

vela said:
Try using

[tex]\tanh x = \frac{e^x-e^{-x}}{e^x+e^{-x}}[/tex].

I wind up at the same spot.

Do it by hand, and show your work here.

I would first check my equations and make sure they are correct. If I am unsure about any of the equations or steps, I would consult with other scientists or references to verify my work. If the equations and steps are correct, then I would approach the problem from a different angle and try to find a different way to solve for β or v. I would also consider any other factors or variables that may affect the motion of the rocket and see if they can be incorporated into the equations. If I am still unable to find a solution, I would consult with other experts in the field or seek out additional resources to help me solve the problem.

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a set of two theories developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century: special relativity and general relativity. Special relativity deals with objects moving at constant speeds, while general relativity deals with objects moving in a gravitational field.

2. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory that explains how objects move at high speeds, close to the speed of light. It shows that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. It also explains the concept of time dilation and length contraction.

3. How does special relativity affect our perception of time and space?

Special relativity shows that time and space are relative to the observer's frame of reference. This means that time and space can appear different to different observers depending on their relative motion. Time can also appear to pass slower for objects moving at high speeds, and lengths can appear to shrink in the direction of motion.

4. What are some real-life applications of special relativity?

Special relativity has been confirmed through numerous experiments and is used in various technological applications. Some examples include GPS systems, particle accelerators, and nuclear power plants. It also plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe and the behavior of objects at extreme speeds.

5. What are the key principles of special relativity?

The key principles of special relativity are the constancy of the speed of light, the relativity of time and space, and the equivalence of mass and energy (E=mc²). These principles form the basis of the theory and help explain the behavior of objects at high speeds and in a gravitational field.