Frequency, inductance, and capacitance

In summary, Frequency is a measure of how often a periodic event occurs in terms of electricity, while inductance is a property that causes a voltage to be induced in a conductor and capacitance is a measure of a circuit's ability to store electrical charge. These three components are interconnected in an electrical circuit and can be measured using specific meters or by using known frequencies and measuring voltages or currents.
taylorjr

Homework Statement

The oscillator of a 96.9 MHz FM station has an inductance of 1.4 μH. What is the value of the capacitance?

Homework Equations

I haven't the slightest idea. I've looked through the section in my physics book and looked all over online and I can't find anything.

The Attempt at a Solution

Just looking at the units, a Henry is [tex]\Omega[/tex] * s, and a Farad is s / [tex]\Omega[/tex], so I multiplied the two given values, getting s[tex]^{2}[/tex], then I took the square root, but no luck.

Physics news on Phys.org

What is frequency?

Frequency is a measure of how often a periodic event occurs. In terms of electricity, it refers to the number of cycles of alternating current (AC) that occur in one second. The unit of frequency is hertz (Hz).

What is inductance?

Inductance is a property of an electrical circuit that causes a voltage to be induced in a conductor when the current in that conductor changes. It is measured in henrys (H) and is denoted by the symbol L. Inductance is caused by the magnetic field that forms around a current-carrying conductor.

What is capacitance?

Capacitance is a measure of a circuit's ability to store electrical charge. It is denoted by the symbol C and is measured in farads (F). Capacitance is created by two conductive surfaces separated by an insulating material, which creates an electric field between them.

How are frequency, inductance, and capacitance related?

Frequency, inductance, and capacitance are all interconnected in an electrical circuit. Inductance and capacitance are both components that can store energy in a circuit, while frequency determines the rate at which energy is transferred in the circuit. Additionally, changes in frequency can affect the inductance and capacitance of a circuit.

How are frequency, inductance, and capacitance measured?

Frequency is measured using a frequency meter or oscilloscope. Inductance is measured using an inductance meter or using a known frequency and measuring the voltage across the inductor. Capacitance is measured using a capacitance meter or using a known frequency and measuring the current across the capacitor.