Reflectivity metals at high frequency

In summary, metals are good mirrors for visible light. However, at higher frequencies, such as x-rays, metals can become transparent. This is due to the plasma frequency, which ranges from 10 eV to 30 eV in most metals. The free electron model provides a reference for explaining the existence of the plasma frequency.
paweld
As is commonly known metals are good mirrors i.e. they reflect very well visible light.
I wonder whetehr is it true for frequency much higher then the frequancy of visible
light. Does exists the frequency for which metals are almost transparent?

Physics news on Phys.org
paweld said:
As is commonly known metals are good mirrors i.e. they reflect very well visible light.
I wonder whetehr is it true for frequency much higher then the frequancy of visible
light. Does exists the frequency for which metals are almost transparent?

Metals can be quite transparent for x-rays.

Yes, metals become transparent above the so called plasma frequency which ranges from about 10 eV to 30 eV in most metals.

Thanks for answers. Can you give me a referece for a model explaining the existence
plasma frequency in metals.

Last edited:

1. What is reflectivity in metals at high frequency?

Reflectivity in metals at high frequency refers to the ability of a metal to reflect electromagnetic radiation at high frequencies, such as radio waves or microwaves. This is due to the fact that metals have a high electrical conductivity, which allows them to easily reflect these types of waves.

2. How does the reflectivity of metals change with frequency?

The reflectivity of metals generally decreases as the frequency of the electromagnetic radiation increases. This is because at higher frequencies, the skin depth (the depth at which the wave can penetrate into the metal) decreases, causing more of the wave to be reflected rather than absorbed.

3. What factors affect the reflectivity of metals at high frequency?

The reflectivity of metals at high frequency is affected by several factors, including the type of metal (as different metals have different electrical conductivities), the surface roughness of the metal, and the angle of incidence of the electromagnetic radiation.

4. How is the reflectivity of metals at high frequency measured?

The reflectivity of metals at high frequency can be measured using various techniques, such as reflectance spectroscopy or scattering measurements. These methods involve directing a beam of electromagnetic radiation at the metal and measuring the amount of reflected radiation.

5. What applications does the study of reflectivity in metals at high frequency have?

The study of reflectivity in metals at high frequency has various applications, including in the design and optimization of antenna systems for communication and radar, as well as in the development of materials for shielding against electromagnetic interference.