Exploring Electrical Engineering: Where to Start?

In summary: Mouser or Digikey. They can also try building circuit boards themselves or researching online for circuit ideas. For robots, they can search the internet for different types and options and possibly join a society or club at school to get more ideas and guidance. In summary, Clifford suggests starting with an electronic project kit or a breadboard, researching online for circuit ideas, and joining a society or club at school for guidance on building robots.
bezgin
Hi,

It's my first year in electronic engineering. I wonder what I can do to begin working on electrical things even if I don't know anything about it? I don't know much about my job actually and want to create a hobby related to it so that I can like it in the future. How can I make a circuit for example? I want to make a robot, is it easy? :rolleyes:

Can you advise me some web sites?
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Easiest would be one of those electronic project kits.

Next easiest would be to get a breadboard and some components from a place like Mouser (no minimum, decent shipping) or Digikey or whoever.

After that you could build masks and etch your own circuit boards and all that kind of fun stuff. Not really practical anymore since you can get boards prototyped for so cheap nowadays but it doesn't hurt to know the old ways too. Radio Shack had this stuff, maybe one near you might still have it in stock. They used to support the hobbyist pretty well, now their focus is cellphones and batteries (darned companies trying to optimize profits).

As far as what circuits, lots of websites out there. Here's one with a few ideas and decent explanations:
http://www.mitedu.freeserve.co.uk/schematics.htm

As far as robots go, wow, huge field there. A good internet search will bring up all types of stuff from bots built from salvage parts to special neo-magnet motors designed for max power/weight for battlebots and the like. You could buy assembled and tested controllers or build your own with a PIC and have it drive an H-bridge. Countless options.

At school you might find a society like SWE or something where you could meet other people and get ideas of what they're doing and maybe find something you want to do. Your school might even have a unmanned vehicle they build for competition use. Maybe your EE advisor would be able to steer you in that direction.

Skys the limit!

Cliff

Last edited by a moderator:
for reaching out! Starting in electrical engineering can seem daunting at first, but there are a few key things you can do to get started. First, familiarize yourself with the basic principles and concepts of electrical engineering. This can be done through online courses, textbooks, or even YouTube tutorials. Once you have a basic understanding, you can start experimenting with small circuits and projects to get hands-on experience. As for making a circuit, there are many resources available online that provide step-by-step guides and tutorials on how to do so. As for making a robot, it can be a bit more complex, but there are also plenty of resources available online for beginners. Some good websites to check out are All About Circuits, Electronics Hub, and Electronics Tutorials. Remember to take your time and be patient with yourself as you learn, and don't be afraid to ask for help or guidance from more experienced engineers. Good luck on your journey in electrical engineering!

1. What is electrical engineering?

Electrical engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the study, design, and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. It involves the use of electricity to transmit, process, and store information, as well as to power devices and systems.

2. What are the key skills required to become an electrical engineer?

To become an electrical engineer, one must have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of mathematics and physics. Additionally, good communication and teamwork skills are important for working on projects with other engineers and professionals.

3. What are some common areas of specialization within electrical engineering?

Some common areas of specialization within electrical engineering include power systems, electronics, telecommunications, control systems, and computer engineering. Within these fields, engineers may focus on specific applications, such as renewable energy, microelectronics, or signal processing.

4. What are some resources for learning more about electrical engineering?

There are many resources available for learning about electrical engineering, including textbooks, online courses, and educational websites. Additionally, attending workshops and conferences, participating in internships, and networking with professionals in the field can also be helpful for gaining knowledge and experience.

5. What are some potential career opportunities for electrical engineers?

Electrical engineering is a diverse field with a wide range of career opportunities. Some common career paths include working in the power industry, designing and developing electronic devices, or working in telecommunications. Other options include research and development, consulting, and teaching.