Vector and scalar magnitude problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the x component and magnitude of vector A given the information that vector -1.90A has a magnitude of 59.1 m and points in the positive x direction. The attempt at a solution involves using basic algebra, but the direction and length of vector A are not given, leading to incorrect answers.
lsu777

Homework Statement

The vector -1.90A has a magnitude of 59.1 m and points in the positive x direction. Calculate the x component of the vector A.

Calculate the magnitude of the vector A.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I understand vectors but having a problem understanding how to set this problem up. this is the last problem of a 20 problem set and is the only one I can't figure out. would appreciate any help ya'll could provide.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you just use basic algebra for this.

-1.90 A is 1.9 times the length of vector A, and points in the opposite direction as vector A. So what direction does vector A point in, and what's its length?

doesnt give me anymore information then what is given. and i tried 59.1/1.9 to give me the answer but it said that was incorrect.

Shouldn't it be negative?

yea i used the negative. i actually tried both ways and was told both were incorrect. only have one chance left.

1. What is the difference between vector and scalar quantities?

Vector quantities have both magnitude and direction, while scalar quantities only have magnitude.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of its components.

3. Can a vector have negative magnitude?

No, the magnitude of a vector is always a positive value.

4. How do you represent a vector in mathematical notation?

A vector is typically represented in bold typeface, such as v, with an arrow above it to indicate its direction.

5. What are some real-world examples of vector and scalar quantities?

Examples of vector quantities include velocity, force, and displacement. Examples of scalar quantities include mass, temperature, and time.