Solving the Puzzle: Cow Rope Length in Round Meadow

In summary, the conversation discusses a puzzle involving a round meadow and a cow tied with a rope at the edge of the meadow. The goal is to determine the length of the rope needed for the cow to graze half of the meadow. The conversation includes attempts at solving the puzzle and a suggestion to use a normalized expression for the area swept by the rope to find the appropriate length. One participant also mentions the similarity of this puzzle to the 0.999(repeated) != 1 thread.
niko2000
Hi,
I have tried to solve this puzzle:
If we had a round meadow and a cow tied with a rope on the edge of that meadow. Hw long should be a rope if we wanted to let the cow eat a half of that meadow?
I have tried to solve this puzzle time ago and now it attracted me again. Does anyone know how it could be solved?
Regards,
Niko

Mathematics news on Phys.org
niko2000 said:
Hi,
If we had a round meadow and a cow tied with a rope on the edge of that meadow. Hw long should be a rope if we wanted to let the cow eat a half of that meadow?
I have tried to solve this puzzle time ago and now it attracted me again. Does anyone know how it could be solved?
Regards,
Niko

What are the dimensions of the meadow?
Meadow area = width*height
Cow area = (rope length)^2 * pi
cow can eat half:
width*height/2 = (rope length)^2 * pi
square root(width*height/(2*pi)) = rope length

Meadow is rotund, not rectangular.
The radius of the meadow is whatever size. We have to find a relation between rope length and radius length. Assume the radius length is 1.

niko2000 said:
Meadow is rotund, not rectangular.
The radius of the meadow is whatever size. We have to find a relation between rope length and radius length. Assume the radius length is 1.

alright then

m^2/2=r^2
sqr(m^2/2) = r
m/sqr(2) = r

oooo hard :tongue2:

Alkatran said:
alright then

m^2/2=r^2
sqr(m^2/2) = r
m/sqr(2) = r

oooo hard :tongue2:

You're still not reading the problem correctly. You are assuming the cow is tethered INSIDE the circle so that the area grazed is a complete circle. That's not true- the cow is tethered at the edge of the circle so the area she can graze is only a portion of a circle.

niko2000 said:
Hi,
Regards,
Niko

You need to get an expression for the area swept out by the tether rope as a function of it's lenght. Normalize the problem by taking the meadow to be unit radius and let the rope length be "r". You can get the following expression for the area "A" swept by the rope.

A = r^2 acos(r/2) + acos( 1 - 0.5 r^2) - r sqrt( 1- 0.25 r^2)

Now solve numerically to find the value or r which gives A=Pi/2, which turns out to be somewhere around 1.15 to 1.16 times the meadow radius.

Hasn't this come up before?

Gokul43201 said:
Hasn't this come up before?

Not the I know of. Are you sure you're not thinking of the 0.999(repeated) != 1 thread. ;)

What is the purpose of the Cow Rope Length puzzle?

The purpose of the Cow Rope Length puzzle is to challenge problem-solving skills and logical thinking. It involves determining the length of rope needed to tie a cow in a circular meadow, given the diameter of the meadow and the desired length of rope for the cow to graze within.

What are the key factors to consider when solving the Cow Rope Length puzzle?

The key factors to consider are the diameter of the meadow, the length of rope needed for the cow to graze within, and the circumference of the meadow. These factors are all interrelated and must be carefully calculated to arrive at the correct solution.

Is there a specific formula for solving the Cow Rope Length puzzle?

Yes, there is a formula that can be used to solve the Cow Rope Length puzzle. It is: circumference = 2 * pi * radius. By plugging in the given diameter and desired rope length, the radius can be calculated and the circumference can then be determined.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving the Cow Rope Length puzzle?

One common mistake is using the diameter as the radius in the formula, which will result in an incorrect solution. Another mistake is not converting units properly, as the diameter and rope length may be given in different units of measurement.

What are some tips for successfully solving the Cow Rope Length puzzle?

Some tips for success include breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps, carefully checking units and conversions, and double-checking all calculations. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram or visualize the problem to aid in the solving process.