Pulley, Strings, Friction [Please]{Mechanics}

In summary: The tension on the side without friction would be 10N greater than the tension on the other side.In summary, tension is the same on both sides of a massless and frictionless pulley. However, if there is friction or a massive pulley, the tension can be different on each side. The tension is necessary for a massless rope to have a force acting on each end. If there is a slit providing friction, the tension will be different on each side of the slit, with the difference being equal to the force required to overcome the friction. To calculate the tension, one must identify the forces acting on each body and apply Newton's 2nd law.
Xin R
Pulley, Strings, Friction [Please..]{Mechanics}[not Solved]

Homework Statement

1) I am really confused about how tension is same on both sides of pulley. Also, how do friction of pulley affect tension in string?

2) Also want to know how tension provides torque to pulley since tension in each segment is perfectly canceled out by adjoining string segments.

3) If possible can anyone give me free body diagram of tension in each segments of various parts in a pulley?

4) What is the basis of constrained motion? How do i use them to make relations??

Homework Equations

No equations. Conceptual Problem

The Attempt at a Solution

tried a lot. No use.. :(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
NOone here to clear by doubts huh??! !

Xin R said:
1) I am really confused about how tension is same on both sides of pulley. Also, how do friction of pulley affect tension in string?
Tension is the same on both sides of a massless and frictionless pulley.

2) Also want to know how tension provides torque to pulley since tension in each segment is perfectly canceled out by adjoining string segments.
I don't understand what you mean 'tension in each segment being canceled out'. For a segment of a massless rope, the net force is zero. But the rope still transmits a force from one end to the other.

Doc Al said:
Tension is the same on both sides of a massless and frictionless pulley.

I don't understand what you mean 'tension in each segment being canceled out'. For a segment of a massless rope, the net force is zero. But the rope still transmits a force from one end to the other.

How?! How does tension change if there is friction and mass on pulley?

Xin R said:
How?! How does tension change if there is friction and mass on pulley?
Well, something's got to accelerate the massive pulley or overcome the friction. If the tension were the same on both sides, there would be no net torque.

Doc Al said:
Well, something's got to accelerate the massive pulley or overcome the friction. If the tension were the same on both sides, there would be no net torque.

Okay. Consider this. There is a slit through which the string passes and slit provides friction. is tension same on both sides of pulley? Is tension same on both sides of slit?Consider this. there is no block on one side of pulley. Is there tension on string now?
What is providing centripetal acceleration required by string to move in circular path??Consider this: There is two blocks on one side of a pulley, connected in series and one block on other side. is tension same on both sides of pulley and between the two blocks on one side?
You have cleared a majour part of my doubt . Thanks!

Xin R said:
Okay. Consider this. There is a slit through which the string passes and slit provides friction. is tension same on both sides of pulley? Is tension same on both sides of slit?
Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean.

Consider this. there is no block on one side of pulley. Is there tension on string now?
If I understand you correctly, no.
What is providing centripetal acceleration required by string to move in circular path??
The string is treated as massless.

Consider this: There is two blocks on one side of a pulley, connected in series and one block on other side. is tension same on both sides of pulley
Yes, if the pulley is massless and frictionless.
and between the two blocks on one side?
No. The rope segment between those two blocks will have a different tension than the other rope segment.

Doc Al said:
Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean.

30kt500.png

Thanks!

If tension is different, how do i calculate that?
If I understand you correctly, no.
May i Know Why? What is the purpose of tension afterall?

The string is treated as massless.

I got you.
Yes, if the pulley is massless and frictionless.
I got you
No. The rope segment between those two blocks will have a different tension than the other rope segment.

How do i calculate that tension??Thanks a lot.

Xin R said:
May i Know Why? What is the purpose of tension afterall?
A massless rope requires something pulling on each end for it to have tension.

How do i calculate that tension??
In the usual manner: Identify the forces acting on each body and apply Newton's 2nd law.

Thanks but answer the first question also?

Xin R said:
Thanks but answer the first question also?
About the slit? If it provides friction, then the tension will be different on each side of the slit.

Can you please explain how?

Xin R said:
Can you please explain how?
How much friction does the slit exert?

10N. Or take it as unknown if you want it that way.

Xin R said:
10N. Or take it as unknown if you want it that way.
If the force required to overcome friction is 10N, then that's the difference in tension across the slit.

What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a grooved wheel and a rope or cable wrapped around it. It is used to lift or move objects by reducing the amount of force needed.

How do pulleys work?

Pulleys work by distributing the weight of an object over multiple ropes or cables, making it easier to lift. The more pulleys used, the less force is required to lift the object.

What is the purpose of using strings with pulleys?

Strings are used with pulleys to help transfer the force from the pulley to the object being lifted. They also help to keep the pulley in place and prevent it from slipping.

How does friction affect the use of pulleys and strings?

Friction is a force that resists motion between two surfaces. In the case of pulleys and strings, friction can cause the ropes to slip or the pulley to become stuck, making it more difficult to lift the object.

What are some common applications of pulleys and strings in mechanics?

Pulleys and strings are commonly used in many different mechanical systems, such as elevators, cranes, and even bicycles. They are also used in everyday items, such as window blinds and flagpoles.