Calculating Equilibrium Temperature of Blacktop Road Under High Noon Radiation

• Thread starter andrew410
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radiation
In summary, the problem involves finding the equilibrium temperature of a blacktop road that receives 1,000 W of energy from the Sun at high noon and loses energy solely through radiation. The formula for energy rate of radiation is P = \sigma A e T^4, where e represents emissivity. Since the blacktop is in thermal equilibrium, it radiates the same amount of energy it absorbs. To solve for T, we can plug in the values and use an emissivity of 1, as the blacktop is an ideal radiator.
andrew410
At high noon, the Sun delivers 1,000 W to each square meter of a blacktop road. If the hot asphalt loses energy only by radiation, what is its equilibrium temperature?

I know the formula for energy rate of radiation:
[tex] P = \sigma A e T^4 [/tex]
I don't know how to apply this to the problem...
Any help would be great! Thx in advance ! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
If the blacktop is in thermal or radiative equilibrium it radiates the same amount of energy it absorbs.

So do I solve for T for the above formula and plug in the values? If so, then what is the emissivity(e)?

e = 1 for an ideal radiator.

thanks a lot! :)

1. What is radiation?

Radiation is the process of emitting energy in the form of particles or waves. It can occur naturally, such as through sunlight or cosmic rays, or through human-made sources, such as X-rays or nuclear power plants.

2. Is radiation harmful?

It depends on the type and level of radiation exposure. Some forms of radiation, such as UV rays from the sun, can be harmful in large doses. Others, like the radiation used in medical imaging, are generally considered safe in small doses. However, high levels of radiation exposure can be dangerous and cause health problems.

3. How can I protect myself from radiation?

The best way to protect yourself from radiation is to limit your exposure. This can include avoiding unnecessary medical procedures that involve radiation, using protective gear when working with radioactive materials, and following safety precautions at nuclear power plants. It is also important to stay informed about radiation levels in your area.

4. What are the health effects of radiation exposure?

The health effects of radiation exposure can vary depending on the type, level, and duration of exposure. Short-term exposure to high levels of radiation can cause symptoms like nausea, vomiting, and hair loss. Long-term exposure to lower levels of radiation can increase the risk of cancer and other health problems.

5. How is radiation measured?

Radiation is measured in units called sieverts (Sv) or millisieverts (mSv). These units measure the amount of energy absorbed by the body from radiation. Different types of radiation have different levels of energy, so they can cause different amounts of damage. Scientists also use other units, such as becquerels (Bq) and curies (Ci), to measure the amount of radioactive material present.