How Can I Find the .exe File for MiKTex on Win98?

• Thread starter dextercioby
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bit
In summary, the conversation is about the user's dilemma with installing and finding the MiKTex software on Windows 98. They are seeking advice on how to locate the program and use it to create PDF files from TeX files. The conversation also mentions the option of using a GUI for easier use.
dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
I'm having the biggest dilemma of my entire existence.I've just downloaded the "MiKTex" software,apparently succesfully installing it,but,as it wouldn't make a shortcut in the StartUp Menu (using Win98),I have no idea how to find the program itself,the ".exe" file.

So,please,could anyone give me a piece of advice??

Computer science news on Phys.org
The MikTeX executables are located in the miktex\bin directory of wherever you installed everything (I have mine in c:\texmf\miktex\bin).

If you were expecting a fancy schmancy GUI for doing your TeX'ing, then you might be a little bit disappointed. All the programs run through a command window, but you can use whatever fancy schmancy text editor you like to create your TeX source file.

MikTeX is a fine version of LateX, but you do need a GUI. I suggest that you look on www.tug.org for some freebees. There are a couple out there. if you decide to use Linux for an operating system, try Kile for LateX, best I have seen and is easy to use.

dt

imabug said:
The MikTeX executables are located in the miktex\bin directory of wherever you installed everything (I have mine in c:\texmf\miktex\bin).

If you were expecting a fancy schmancy GUI for doing your TeX'ing, then you might be a little bit disappointed. All the programs run through a command window, but you can use whatever fancy schmancy text editor you like to create your TeX source file.

Thenx.I'd still have one more question:if I've made a file;let's call it "buhuhu.tex",how can i turn it into a pdf using MikTex?It' actually the reason for which i dld-ed the program.Being able to make pdf's out of tex files...Which commnad window to open and what lines of code need i write??

Dr.Transport,for now,i'm not interested in sofware working for Linux,as i find Windows pretty useful for dumbasses like me... :wink:

dextercioby said:
Thenx.I'd still have one more question:if I've made a file;let's call it "buhuhu.tex",how can i turn it into a pdf using MikTex?It' actually the reason for which i dld-ed the program.Being able to make pdf's out of tex files...Which commnad window to open and what lines of code need i write??

I've never done it myself, but I think http://www.miktex.org/manual/pdftex.html

Last edited by a moderator:
i would suggest using something like TeXnicCenter

1. What is MikTex?

MikTex is a free, open-source typesetting system that is primarily used for creating documents with mathematical equations and symbols.

2. Is MikTex compatible with all operating systems?

Yes, MikTex is compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems.

3. How is MikTex different from other typesetting systems?

MikTex is unique in that it automatically downloads and installs missing packages or fonts, making it easier to use for beginners and reducing the risk of errors in document compilation.

4. Can I customize the MikTex installation?

Yes, during the installation process, you can choose which packages and features you want to include or exclude in your MikTex installation.

5. Is there a user community or support for MikTex?

Yes, there is a large user community and support available for MikTex, including online forums, user groups, and documentation for troubleshooting and assistance.