Perfectly inelastic, rigid collision, vel. ever 0?

In summary, the conversation discusses a thought experiment involving a perfectly rigid wall and ball colliding in a perfectly inelastic collision. The question arises about the velocity of the ball at the point of collision and whether it can be zero, given the objects' incompressibility. The expert suggests that the velocity function doesn't have to be continuous and may not be defined at the point of collision, making it a physically impossible scenario. They also suggest considering a nearly rigid and nearly elastic collision to avoid dealing with infinities.
wvguy8258
This likely represents a physical impossibility or contradiction, but I'd like to know that or, if not, understand what is going on at a deeper level.

Let's say we have a perfectly rigid and immovable wall. We have a perfectly rigid (doesn't compress) ball moving toward it at 10 m/s. The two meet and the collision is perfectly inelastic and so the ball moves off in the opposite direction afterward. I would assume it would reach 10 m/s given I believe an inelastic collision involves no loss.

Now, since the ball changed directions, it makes sense that the ball at some instantaneous point in time had a velocity of 0. However, since both objects in the system are incompressible, it is hard for me to imagine the ball not doing the following:

1. losing all velocity in the original direction instantaneously (so I suppose infinite negative acceleration)
2. at the same moment begin moving in the opposite direction

I know that if the velocity changes sign it must at some point be zero, however I can't picture it like a series of still shots where I can intuitively get a grasp of that ball being still at all. It is obviously easier to do this with usual collisions (tennis ball meets wall).

I'm thinking my problem is: 1. no experience with this type of system as it doesn't exist and so my intuition can't handle it and 2. I believe the moment at which velocity is exactly zero would be infinitely short and my mind doesn't deal with infinitely small time quantities well.

Any help? Thanks, if I'm asking an old question, let me know. Didn't find it on a search here.

Seth

Physics news on Phys.org
My thoughts:
wvguy8258 said:
Let's say we have a perfectly rigid and immovable wall. We have a perfectly rigid (doesn't compress) ball moving toward it at 10 m/s. The two meet and the collision is perfectly inelastic and so the ball moves off in the opposite direction afterward. I would assume it would reach 10 m/s given I believe an inelastic collision involves no loss.
Fine.

I know that if the velocity changes sign it must at some point be zero
No. The velocity function needs not to be continuous. The velocity of the ball when it hits the wall isn't defined (with your assumptions above), maybe it has to see with Dirac's delta; I am not 100% sure here, but it's definitely not 0 m/s.

fluidistic said:
My thoughts:
Fine.

No. The velocity function needs not to be continuous. The velocity of the ball when it hits the wall isn't defined (with your assumptions above), maybe it has to see with Dirac's delta; I am not 100% sure here, but it's definitely not 0 m/s.

Thank you. So, I'm not totally crazy ;)

So, a position versus time graph (position is in one dimension) for the ball would be linear but with a peak at the wall's location. Therefore, if we take the 1st derivative of the function to find instantaneous velocity, this derivative is not defined at the abrupt peak (a witches hat shape). Is my interpretation correct? This is very fascinating to me, thank you. -Seth

wvguy8258 said:
Thank you. So, I'm not totally crazy ;)

So, a position versus time graph (position is in one dimension) for the ball would be linear but with a peak at the wall's location. Therefore, if we take the 1st derivative of the function to find instantaneous velocity, this derivative is not defined at the abrupt peak (a witches hat shape). Is my interpretation correct? This is very fascinating to me, thank you. -Seth

I think so.
:smile:

wvguy8258 said:
This [strike] likely [/strike] represents a physical impossibility or contradiction
Scratch the word 'likely'. Rigid bodies are non existent. It's like asking what happens when I travel at the speed of light. Both are physically impossible. You might want to assume, instead, that the objects are 'nearly' rigid, and that the collision is 'nearly' totally elastic. Gotta get rid of those infinities.:tongue:

Just a thought experiment.

elastic, not inelastic

1. What is a perfectly inelastic collision?

A perfectly inelastic collision is a type of collision in which two objects stick together and move as one after the collision. In this type of collision, kinetic energy is not conserved as some of the energy is lost in the form of heat or sound.

2. How is a perfectly inelastic collision different from an elastic collision?

In a perfectly inelastic collision, the objects stick together and move with a common final velocity. In an elastic collision, the objects bounce off each other and their velocities change according to the laws of conservation of momentum and energy.

3. What is a rigid collision?

A rigid collision is a type of collision in which the colliding bodies do not deform or change shape during the collision. This is only possible if the objects are extremely rigid and are able to withstand the forces exerted on them during the collision.

4. How is velocity calculated in a rigid collision?

In a rigid collision, the velocity of the objects after the collision can be calculated using the law of conservation of momentum. This states that the total momentum before and after the collision remains the same.

5. Is velocity always 0 in a perfectly inelastic, rigid collision?

No, velocity is not always 0 in a perfectly inelastic, rigid collision. The final velocity of the objects after the collision will depend on their masses and initial velocities. However, in the case of a perfectly inelastic collision, the objects will have the same final velocity.