Question about analyzing forces

• Thread starter jaja1990
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the problem is wrong/invalid because it contradicts Newton's 3rd law, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In this scenario, Object A and Object B are supposedly exerting different amounts of force on each other, which goes against this law.
jaja1990
In a try to test my knowledge of Newton's laws, I have posed the following question to myself.

Object A | Object B | Object C

Object A pushes on B by an amount of 60N

Object B pushes on A by an amount of 30N

Object C pushes on B by an amount of 10N

What is the resultant force of each object?

My attempt:

(The arrows indicate direction.)

Considering A and B:
A pushes on B by 60, so F_AonB = 60→
B reacts on A by 60, so F_BonA = 60←
B pushes on A by 30, so F_BonA becomes 90←
A reacts on B by 30, so F_AonB becomes 90→

Considering B and C:
C pushes on B by 10, so F_ConB = 10←
B reacts on C by 10, so F_BonC = 10→

Considering A and B (after considering C on B):
B pushes on A by 100, so F_BonA = 100←
A reacts on B by 100, so F_AonB = 100→

Conclusion:
A pushes 100→
B pushes 100← and 10→
C pushes 10←

I have been informed that the solution is invalid, and that the question itself is wrong. Can you tell me why the problem is wrong/invalid?
Someone tried to explain to me, but I didn't really understand.

Physics news on Phys.org
jaja1990 said:
I have been informed that the solution is invalid, and that the question itself is wrong. Can you tell me why the problem is wrong/invalid?
For one thing:
Object A pushes on B by an amount of 60N

Object B pushes on A by an amount of 30N
This contradicts Newton's 3rd law.

A and B will exert equal and opposite forces on each other.

Thanks for the simple answer.

1. What is the purpose of analyzing forces?

The purpose of analyzing forces is to understand the motion of objects and the effects of different forces acting on them. By studying forces, we can predict and explain the behavior of objects in various situations.

2. What are the different types of forces?

There are four fundamental forces in nature: gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. In addition to these, there are also contact forces (such as friction and normal force) and non-contact forces (such as tension and air resistance).

3. How do you calculate the net force on an object?

To calculate the net force on an object, you must first identify all the forces acting on the object. Then, you can use vector addition to find the total force, taking into account both the magnitude and direction of each force.

4. What is Newton's second law of motion?

Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In equation form, this can be written as F = ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

5. How do you use free body diagrams to analyze forces?

Free body diagrams are visual representations of an object and all the forces acting on it. By drawing a free body diagram, you can identify all the forces acting on the object and their directions. This helps in determining the net force and ultimately predicting the object's motion.