Confused about radial/transverse and normal/tangential

• Thread starter theBEAST
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a given solution where the speed of a car is in the transverse direction. The question arises as to why the speed is not in the tangential direction, and it is clarified that the motion is assumed to be initially circular. It is also mentioned that the given diagram does not necessarily show a circular path, but the speed given can still be used to solve the problem.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

Here is the problem with half the solution:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64325990/HW%20Pictures/Capture.PNG

What I don't understand is why the speed = 30ft/s is in the transverse direction (vθ). Shouldn't the speed of the car be in the tangential direction (vt)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If it's initially moving in a circular path the transverse and the tangential direction are the same.

Dick said:
If it's initially moving in a circular path the transverse and the tangential direction are the same.

Oh I see... I am just confused because looking at the path, it does not look circular. Let's say the question did not tell us that the car moves on a "horizontal circular path", instead it just says the car is moving on a "path as shown on the diagram". Then can you assume by looking at this picture it is circular? Could we still do the question?

theBEAST said:
Oh I see... I am just confused because looking at the path, it does not look circular. Let's say the question did not tell us that the car moves on a "horizontal circular path", instead it just says the car is moving on a "path as shown on the diagram". Then can you assume by looking at this picture it is circular? Could we still do the question?

I could GUESS it's approximately circular by looking at the diagram. But no, I wouldn't be able to say anything very exact. I wouldn't phrase a question like that.

I just seems that in the context of the problem, that it is assumed the motion is initially circular. If it was not however, giving the circular speed should still be enough. At any given instant, the tangential component is the same as the circular component at the given point. In other words it can be assumed to "stop making a circle" at any time because at a particular instant, it does't really matter what you assume. (imagine in the problem instead of being given r, you were given r - x < r, it wouldn't suggest you need assume before it was a circle or not)

1. What is the difference between radial and transverse?

Radial refers to a direction or measurement that is along or from the center of a circle or sphere, while transverse refers to a direction or measurement that is perpendicular to the radius or center.

2. How are normal and tangential related to radial and transverse?

Normal is a term used to describe a direction that is perpendicular to a surface or object, while tangential refers to a direction that is parallel to the surface or object. In the context of radial and transverse, normal would be equivalent to radial and tangential would be equivalent to transverse.

3. Can you give an example of radial and transverse directions?

Imagine you are standing at the center of a ferris wheel. The radial direction would be the distance from the center to the edge of the wheel, while the transverse direction would be the distance from one side of the wheel to the other.

4. How do these concepts apply in physics?

In physics, radial and transverse directions are commonly used in describing circular or rotational motion. For example, the acceleration of an object moving in a circular path would have a radial component towards the center and a transverse component tangent to the circle.

5. Can these terms be used interchangeably?

No, while they may have similar meanings in some contexts, they are distinct terms with specific definitions. Radial and transverse are used to describe directions, while normal and tangential are used to describe forces or components of forces in a specific direction.