Physical Interpretation of Spin

In summary: However, there are various theories which allow for particles with spin up to some finite value. I would say that SUGRA is a consistent theory with spin 2 (graviton) and spin 3/2 (gravitino).
tannerbk
We are starting to learn about spin in my introductory quantum mechanics course, and I was wondering if anyone could provide a physical interpretation of an electron's spin. I understand its a form of angular momentum which has nothing to do with the motion of the electron in space, but since an electron is a structureless, point particle, is there a good way to think about an electron's spin?

Physics news on Phys.org
There appears to be no good "picture" of the electron spin. You can think in your mind like it's the electron spinning around, but that picture is met by many difficulties which you correctly point out.

All that can be really said is that the spin is an additional degree of freedom intrinsic to particles, and that it acts like an angular momentum because it gives rise to coupling to the magnetic field of these particles (in a fashion similar to what would be the case if the particles were spinning) in e.g. the Stern-Gerlach experiment.

Also, the intrinsic angular momentum ("spin") of the particles that make up an object, contributes to the object's total macroscopic angular momentum. The best-known experimental demonstration of this is the Einstein-de Haas effect. If you know the Feynman Lectures on Physics, it's in there somewhere. (I don't have my copy handy so I can't give an exact reference.)

Thanks for the responses. I was wondering if there was any significance to the fact that particles that make up ordinary matter all have spin 1/2. I understand mathematically why this is, but is there a deeper reason for this specific quantization?

tannerbk said:
Thanks for the responses. I was wondering if there was any significance to the fact that particles that make up ordinary matter all have spin 1/2. I understand mathematically why this is, but is there a deeper reason for this specific quantization?

Simplifying somewhat, in the framework of quantum field theory we find that

-fundamental spin 0 particles are naturally very heavy (so that they would be unstable to decay to other, lighter particles);
-fundamental spin 1 particles must be massless; and
-it's not clear how to write down a consistent theory of fundamental particles with spin > 1 (though someone more knowledgeable may correct me on this).

That leaves spin 1/2 particles, which have no particular reason to be heavy and no particular reason to be massless. So it's natural to expect spin 1/2 particles to be the lightest stable massive particles in nature.

The_Duck said:
it's not clear how to write down a consistent theory of fundamental particles with spin > 1 (though someone more knowledgeable may correct me on this).
Even so it's not absolutely clear whether certain SUGRAs are renormalizable I would say that SUGRA is a consistent theory with spin 2 (graviton) and spin 3/2 (gravitino). What you are saying applies to spin > 2.

1. What is spin and why is it important in physics?

Spin is an intrinsic property of particles, similar to mass and charge, that describes their angular momentum. It is important in physics because it helps explain the behavior and interactions of particles at the subatomic level.

2. How is spin measured and quantized?

Spin is measured in units of angular momentum, typically denoted as h-bar (ħ). It is quantized in increments of 1/2, meaning that particles can have spin values of 1/2, 1, 3/2, etc.

3. What is the physical interpretation of spin?

The physical interpretation of spin is that it represents the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle. This means that even in the absence of any external forces, particles will have a certain amount of spin due to their intrinsic properties.

4. How does spin affect the behavior of particles?

Spin affects the behavior of particles in a variety of ways. For example, particles with different spin values will interact differently with magnetic fields and other particles. Additionally, spin can determine the stability of certain particle configurations.

5. Can spin be changed or manipulated?

Spin can be changed or manipulated through interactions with other particles or external forces. For example, particles can be polarized to align their spins in a particular direction, or they can exchange spin with other particles during interactions.