What will be the pressure inside a small hydrogen peroxide rocket engine?

In summary: Based on our calculation, a pump that can supply 99 bar of pressure should be sufficient.I hope this helps with your design process. Good luck with your hydrogen peroxide rocket engine! In summary, the pressure inside the engine will be approximately 99 bar, and a pump that can supply this amount of pressure should be sufficient. This calculation was based on the Ideal Gas Law and assuming a constant temperature.
guss
Hello, I am designing a small hydrogen peroxide rocket engine. Hydrogen peroxide will be pumped into a combustion chamber where there will be a catalyst (manganese dioxide in this case) that will convert the peroxide into steam and oxygen. These byproducts will then exit through a nozzle.

I am designing the engine to put out 35 Newtons of thrust for 20 seconds, and use up .4 liters of 85%-90% pure hydrogen peroxide (all of these numbers are approximate). The combustion chamber is about 4cm long, and 2cm in diameter. The nozzle has about a .45cm throat diameter and a .75cm exit diameter.

I am trying to figure out what the pressure in this engine will be, among other things. I need to know how much pressure the pump should supply to push the peroxide into the chamber.

I found a calculator online, located here, that is telling me the pump needs to supply 20 bar of pressure (=2000 kPa). Unfortunately, this kind of pressure seems impossible for a pump at this scale, and that's not to mention that it needs to pump .4 L in 20 seconds. But, I am also optimistic that this pressure value might be dead wrong, because this calculator was designed for larger hydrogen peroxide engines.

So, can someone help me determine what the pressure inside the engine will be? I don't have much experience with situations like this where the fluid is moving.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org

Hello there,

I would like to offer some insight into your design and calculations. Firstly, I would like to commend you on your use of a catalyst to convert hydrogen peroxide into steam and oxygen, which is a very efficient and clean way to power a rocket engine.

Now, let's address the issue of pressure. The pressure inside your engine will depend on several factors such as the volume of the combustion chamber, the amount of hydrogen peroxide being pumped in, and the rate at which it is being pumped. In order to determine the pressure inside the engine, we need to use the Ideal Gas Law, which states that pressure is directly proportional to the number of moles of gas present, and inversely proportional to the volume and temperature.

In your case, the volume of the combustion chamber is 4cm x 2cm = 8cm^3 or 0.000008 m^3. Assuming that the temperature remains constant, we can use the Ideal Gas Law to calculate the pressure. Let's assume that the hydrogen peroxide is 90% pure, meaning that it is 90% water and 10% oxygen. This means that for every 1 L of hydrogen peroxide, we will have 0.1 L of oxygen. Since you are using 0.4 L of hydrogen peroxide, you will have 0.04 L of oxygen.

Using the Ideal Gas Law, we can calculate the number of moles of oxygen present in the combustion chamber:
n = PV/RT
Where:
n = number of moles
P = pressure (unknown)
V = volume (0.000008 m^3)
R = gas constant (8.314 J/mol*K)
T = temperature (assumed to be constant)

Rearranging the equation to solve for pressure:
P = nRT/V
Substituting the values:
P = (0.04 L)(8.314 J/mol*K)(298 K)/0.000008 m^3 = 98,925,800 Pa = 98.9 bar

This means that the pressure inside your engine will be approximately 99 bar. This is significantly lower than the 2000 kPa value given by the online calculator. This could be due to the fact that the calculator was designed for larger engines, as you mentioned.

As for the pump, it will need to supply enough pressure to overcome the internal pressure of the engine and push the

1. What is a hydrogen peroxide engine?

A hydrogen peroxide engine is a type of rocket engine that uses hydrogen peroxide as the fuel source. It works by decomposing hydrogen peroxide into steam and oxygen, which creates thrust to propel the rocket.

2. How does a hydrogen peroxide engine work?

A hydrogen peroxide engine works by passing hydrogen peroxide through a catalyst, which causes it to decompose into steam and oxygen. This high-pressure steam and oxygen are then directed through a nozzle, creating thrust that propels the rocket.

3. What are the advantages of using a hydrogen peroxide engine?

One advantage of a hydrogen peroxide engine is that it is a relatively simple and reliable design. It also has a high specific impulse, meaning it can produce a lot of thrust with a small amount of fuel. Additionally, hydrogen peroxide is a non-toxic and non-corrosive fuel, making it safer to handle than other types of rocket fuels.

4. What are the limitations of a hydrogen peroxide engine?

One limitation of a hydrogen peroxide engine is that it has a lower specific impulse compared to other rocket engines, meaning it requires more fuel to achieve the same amount of thrust. It also has a relatively low thrust-to-weight ratio, making it less suitable for heavy payloads.

5. How is the use of hydrogen peroxide engines being explored in modern science?

Hydrogen peroxide engines are being explored in modern science for potential use in space propulsion systems. They are also being studied for use in hypersonic flight and as an alternative energy source for aircraft. Additionally, research is being conducted on ways to improve the efficiency and specific impulse of hydrogen peroxide engines.