Petals Around the Rose: Solve the Puzzle and Enjoy!

• Thread starter matthyaouw
  • Start date
In summary, the background paragraph hints that you should not think like a "smart" person and that the solution is simple if you are able to think outside the box. The numbers in the bolded section are the correct answer.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
http://crux.baker.edu/cdavis09/roses.html

This puzzle was brought to my attention. I currently have no idea how on Earth to figure it out, so don't ask for any help. Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok I think I got it:

Add the die up this way

1 = 0
2 = 0
3 = 2
4 = 0
5 = 4
6 = 0

so that:

5 5 5 5 5 = 4+4+4+4+4=20
1 6 5 3 4 = 0+0+4+2+0 = 6
1 1 1 1 1 = 0+0+0+0+0 = 0
4 6 6 6 2 = 0+0+0+0+0 = 0
4 3 6 2 3 = 0+2+0+0+2 = 4

Last edited:
I found this game a while ago, it took me a little while to get, but read the white part for a way to figure it out...

just think about the name of the game... petals around the rose... what do dice have to do with petals on a rose? more specifically, are there any numbers on a die that look like they could be petals on a rose? and if so, how many petals are on each of these?

I figured this thing out the first time I clicked "check."

Last edited:
Supposedly, the longer the puzzle takes you the smarter you are supposed to be, which is complete BS I think..

It had taken Dr. Duke well over a year himself, and he would always explain that the smarter you were, the longer it took to figure it out.

:tongue: :tongue:

lol, I agreed with that longer it takes you thing at the start, but after solving it in about 20mins I thought it was bs too :smile:

Ok I figured it out thanks to that hint by msmith12. However, the question defines "pedals around THE rose", and not "total pedals around the roses". Therefore it is flawed.

Once you figure it out you think how stupid you must be not to have seen it before. I was trying out all sorts of mathematical ways of solving it when all you have to do is just look at it to solve it :rofl:

Last edited:
That is a little odd, icebreaker, but perhaps each of the dice counts the number of petals of a particular color, so die 1 (if it has a rose shape on it) shows only red petals, die 2 shows only a certain shade of pink petals, etc. down to die 5 which shows only white petals.

well, i was able to sole it immidiately, but that was bcoz that i had already solved this before. actually i had tried to solve it but failed, then i had posted it right here in the brain teasers section and got the answer.

and from that i conclude that whenever you are not able to solve any problem, just post it here!

Hahahahaha. I can't do it because my little sister already played it with me. I got stuck up on Genghis Khan and it took me about an hour. :rofl:

It might be easier on the website because of the way it looks when you first enter (I'm trying my hardest not to give too much away)

I first found a way that seemd to work almost instantly! just multiply the number of dots in the middle by 2! It worked the first 4 times I tryed it... After that I was no where neer the right aswer... I was quite annoyed till I figured it out =-) took about 5 min.

Took me about an hour the first time I found this. :)

PL

Got it the first time. I attribute my ability to do this so quickly to NOT having the higher education many of you do.

Took me about 30 minutes. I was writing down the numbers and calculating things until I re-read the paragraph below it, then I got it immediately.

The "Background" paragraph tells you it's something simple (and hints that you shouldn't think like a "smart" person (which worked for me :rolleyes: )). I was able to solve it almost immediately, after two rounds. Maybe I got a lucky combination of numbers. Here they are- the correct number of petals is bolded:
6, 5, 3, 4, 4, 6
6, 3, 6, 1, 3, 4

^ What really gave it away for me was 4 or 5 straight sets of having no 3s or 5s and getting 0 every time.

What is "Petals Around the Rose"?

"Petals Around the Rose" is a mathematical puzzle that involves rolling dice and using deductive reasoning to determine the correct answer. It was invented by logician and mathematician, Dr. Richard Duke, in 1977.

How do you play "Petals Around the Rose"?

To play, you will need five dice and a group of players. Each player takes turns rolling the dice and then reveals the answer to the group. The goal is to correctly guess the number of petals (dots) around the rose, which is determined by the mathematical rules of the game.

What are the rules of "Petals Around the Rose"?

The rules of "Petals Around the Rose" are as follows:

• Only even numbers have petals (dots) around the rose.
  • The number of petals is equal to the number of dots in the even numbers.
  • If the number rolled is odd, then there are no petals around the rose.
  • If the number rolled is a multiple of 3, then the number of petals is equal to the number of dots divided by 3.
  • Otherwise, the number of petals is equal to the difference between the number rolled and the nearest multiple of 3.

What is the significance of the name "Petals Around the Rose"?

The name "Petals Around the Rose" is a word play on the phrase "Bet on the Roses". In the game, players are essentially betting on the number of petals (dots) around the rose, hence the name.

Is there a strategy to solving "Petals Around the Rose"?

There is no specific strategy to solving "Petals Around the Rose" as it is a purely deductive puzzle. However, some players may suggest rolling multiple times to observe patterns and make informed guesses based on the rules of the game.