Troubles with some math Translations

• Thread starter Lorax
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is asking for help understanding the translation and reflection of a graph with the equation y=f(x) = |x+4| + 1. They are also asking for help understanding the equation y=f(x^2) -3 and how it relates to parabolas, and for clarification on what happens to parabolas when they are 1/f(x). The response provides a summary of what f(x) = |x+4| looks like and how it is affected by translating and reflecting.
Lorax
Hey I'm having a few troubles with some Translations if anyone could help me out.

15. The graph of y=f(x). where f(x) = |x+4| + 1, its reflected in the y axis. This produces the same results as would translating the graph of y=f(x) to the right by how many units?

I was sick for a bit so I sort of forget or am unsure of how you'd figure that out. Essentially what does |x+4| + 1 look like? Is it a prabola or a straight line sort of deal. I think after that reminder I could manage.

Okay and here's a few more... They have pics so it might be hard... so I'll try and simplify.

if y=f(x^2) -3 what does y=1/f(x^2) -3 look like? Its multiple choice but its hard to explain since they are in picture format. What happens to parabola's when they are 1/f(x)?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
f(x)= |x+4| is a "bent" straight line. It is the straight line through (0,4) and (-4,0) to the right of x=-4 and then "bends" to go through (-5, 1) again.

f(x)= |x+4|+ 1 is that moved up 1.

Reflecting in the y-axis changes x to -x so (-4,1) to (4,1), same as translating 8 places to the right.

for reaching out for help with your math translations troubles. In order to help you, I will explain the concept of reflections and translations in graphs, and then provide an explanation for the specific problems you mentioned.

Firstly, when we reflect a graph in the y-axis, it means that we are flipping the graph over the y-axis. This means that any point (x,y) on the original graph will now be at (-x,y) on the reflected graph. Essentially, we are just changing the sign of the x-coordinate.

Now, when we translate a graph to the right by a certain number of units, we are shifting the graph horizontally to the right by that number of units. This means that any point (x,y) on the original graph will now be at (x-k,y) on the translated graph, where k is the number of units we are shifting to the right.

In the first problem, the function is given as y=f(x) where f(x)=|x+4|+1. This function is a V-shaped graph, known as an absolute value function. When we reflect this graph in the y-axis, it will still maintain its V-shape, but will be flipped over the y-axis. This means that the function will now be y=f(-x) where f(x)=|x-4|+1. To translate this graph to the right, we need to shift the x-coordinate by 4 units, so the function will now be y=f(-x+4), which is equivalent to y=f(-(x-4)). This means that the graph is translated to the right by 4 units.

In the second problem, the function is given as y=f(x^2)-3. This function is a parabola, and when we take the reciprocal of this function, we are essentially flipping the graph over the x-axis. This means that the function will now be y=1/f(x^2)-3, which is equivalent to y=1/f(-x^2)-3. This means that the graph is reflected in the x-axis. The function y=1/f(x^2)-3 will still be a parabola, but the vertex will now be at (0,-3), and the graph will open downwards instead of upwards.

I hope this helps with your understanding of these math translations. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your studies!

1. What exactly are "Troubles with some math Translations"?

"Troubles with some math Translations" refers to difficulties or challenges that individuals may encounter when translating mathematical concepts or problems from one form to another. This could include converting word problems into equations, understanding mathematical symbols, or translating between different units of measurement.

2. How common are these troubles with math translations?

These troubles are fairly common and can affect students of all ages and levels. Many people struggle with translating math because it requires a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and the ability to apply them in different ways. However, with practice and support, these difficulties can be overcome.

3. What are some strategies for improving math translations?

Some strategies for improving math translations include practicing regularly, breaking down problems into smaller steps, using visuals or manipulatives to represent concepts, and seeking help from a tutor or teacher. It can also be helpful to understand the underlying concepts and principles behind the math, rather than just memorizing formulas or procedures.

4. Can difficulties with math translations impact overall math performance?

Yes, difficulties with math translations can impact overall math performance. Translating math is an important skill that is often required in more complex math concepts and problems. If someone struggles with translations, it may also indicate a lack of understanding of underlying mathematical concepts, which can hinder their overall performance in math.

5. Are there any online resources or tools that can help with math translations?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools available to help with math translations. Some examples include interactive websites, video tutorials, practice problems, and step-by-step guides. It may also be helpful to use online forums or discussion boards to ask for help or clarification from others who may have experienced similar difficulties with math translations.