How to determine steel strength formulas

In summary, the conversation revolved around determining the correct type of steel to use for sign support. The person was comparing a 5 x 5 inch square tube with a .25 wall thickness to a 6 x 6 inch round tube with a 3/16 wall thickness. They were unable to find any formulas to help them make a decision. A suggestion was made to consult the AISC Steel Construction Manual 14th edition, which is commonly used in public works projects. Additionally, the person was advised to consider the second moment of area, also known as the beam moment of inertia, when comparing the strength of different steel tubes. Finally, the person mentioned they were looking for materials related to steel plate design, but more information
craigbrown18
not sure if I am in the right place or not but nevertheless need some help

I am trying to figure the correct steel to use for sign support.
I am trying to determine if a 5 x 5 inch with .25 wall is as strong or stronger than a 6 x inch tube with a 3/16 wall. Can't find any formulas to help me out.

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Check out the AISC Steel Construction Manual 14th edition.

It usually governs for steel design/capacities in the public works arena.

i am looking for materials with regard to design of steel plate

You will need to be a lot more specific if you want a useful response.

1. What is the formula for determining the strength of steel?

The formula for determining the strength of steel is the yield strength divided by the ultimate tensile strength, also known as the yield-to-tensile ratio.

2. How is the yield strength of steel calculated?

The yield strength of steel is calculated by finding the stress at which the material begins to deform plastically, or permanently. This can be done through a tensile test, where the stress and strain of the material are measured.

3. What factors affect the strength of steel?

The strength of steel can be affected by various factors, such as its chemical composition, heat treatment, microstructure, and manufacturing process. Other external factors like temperature, loading conditions, and corrosion can also impact the strength of steel.

4. How can the strength of steel be improved?

The strength of steel can be improved through various methods, such as alloying with other elements, heat treatment, cold working, and controlling the microstructure of the material. Additionally, selecting the appropriate steel grade and manufacturing process can also improve the strength of steel.

5. What are the different types of steel strength?

The different types of steel strength include yield strength, ultimate tensile strength, shear strength, compressive strength, and fatigue strength. Each type of strength measures a different aspect of the material's ability to withstand external forces and loads.