Consulting Career for New Grad?

In summary, a new graduate with chemical engineering would need to bring skills and experience to the table in order to be valuable to a consulting firm.
StarSoup
Consulting Career for New Grad??

Hello, I just graduated 2 months ago in Chemical engineering and I am trying to find a job. During my job search it appears that the overwhelming majority of engineering positions are with consulting firms. I have been pretty hesitant about applying to them because I am currently under the impression that consulting is no good for a new graduate with little experience. I feel like in consulting you would have to bring some good skills and experience to the table to be valuable for clients. I just imagine working for one as a new grad they would just give me simplistic work and paper pushing that no one wants to do. I'd rather work for a industrial or manufacturing company and get consistent exposure to something useful. I'm having trouble find these types of jobs though, its all consulting.

Can someone please give me some insights on consulting for new graduates? Are my assumptions valid?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

StarSoup said:
Hello, I just graduated 2 months ago in Chemical engineering and I am trying to find a job. During my job search it appears that the overwhelming majority of engineering positions are with consulting firms. I have been pretty hesitant about applying to them because I am currently under the impression that consulting is no good for a new graduate with little experience. I feel like in consulting you would have to bring some good skills and experience to the table to be valuable for clients. I just imagine working for one as a new grad they would just give me simplistic work and paper pushing that no one wants to do. I'd rather work for a industrial or manufacturing company and get consistent exposure to something useful. I'm having trouble find these types of jobs though, its all consulting.

Can someone please give me some insights on consulting for new graduates? Are my assumptions valid?

Thank you.

Do you mean consulting firms or contract engineer companies? I've worked as both a consultant and a contract engineer, and it's true that as a consultant you need to bring a lot to the table.

Have you applied to and interviewed with any of these consulting firms? It might be helpful to talk to them some to find out what the expectations are. And anyway, for your first job out of school, the main thing is to find a place where there is room to grow if you can show your skills. Even if you end up doing simpler things at first, if the firm or company is a good one, and you can show a lot of potential, doors should open up to you, IMO.

Do these consulting firms have positions specifically for graduates? If they do then it stands to reason that they take on graduates and are willing to train them up.

Thx for replies. You're both right. I just need to get my foot in the door. I haven't applied to any consulting firms yet, but I'll begin to. I'll look for ones with graduate programs too.

Working as a 'Consulting Engineer' isn't the same as working for a management consulting firm like Bain or McKinsey.

- consulting engineer - work on engineering projects under direction
- management consulting - corporate restructuring, process improvement, corporate finance/tax accounting, legal advice, mergers/acquisitions, advising on projects (of any type)

I have worked for an Information Technology consulting firm with new graduates & they work on the client site under direction of the managers of the consulting firm.

1. What is a consulting career?

A consulting career involves providing expert advice and guidance to individuals or organizations in a specific industry or field. Consultants use their knowledge, skills, and experience to solve problems, improve processes, and drive growth for their clients.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a consulting career as a new grad?

There are several benefits to starting a consulting career as a new grad, including exposure to a variety of industries and projects, the opportunity to develop valuable skills such as critical thinking and problem-solving, and the potential for high salary and career advancement.

3. What skills do I need to have for a successful consulting career as a new grad?

Some essential skills for a successful consulting career as a new grad include strong communication and interpersonal skills, analytical and critical thinking abilities, adaptability and flexibility, and the ability to work well in a team and under pressure. It is also beneficial to have knowledge or experience in a specific industry or field.

4. How can I prepare for a consulting career as a new grad?

To prepare for a consulting career as a new grad, you can take courses or pursue a degree in business, economics, or a related field. Internships or part-time consulting work can also provide valuable experience and help you develop skills and industry knowledge. Networking and building relationships with professionals in the consulting field can also be beneficial.

5. What are some common challenges faced by new grads in the consulting industry?

Some common challenges faced by new grads in the consulting industry include long working hours, high-pressure situations, and steep learning curves. It can also be challenging to balance multiple projects and clients simultaneously. Building a strong work-life balance and managing stress are essential for success in this field.